Diving like this is fun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

or flunking Fundies.

Good rejoinder, catherine!

Rob asked why there are fewer women in scuba, and particularly in technical diving. I don't know, but I know that surgical conventions were the only places I've ever been where you could have 15,000 people in a convention center and no line in the ladies' room.

There really is a temperament difference between the sexes, IMHO. I think women are more intuitive and empathetic and more interested in sea life and in the beauty of things underwater. Men tend to be more interested in the gear, and the challenges, and in pushing limits. Women in medicine tend to move toward very human contact specialties like pediatrics and family practice; men tend to move toward the procedure-oriented, higher risk specialties like the surgical disciplines.

I majored in math (a highly male-dominated subject), and trained in general surgery (still more than 80% male), and am now headed toward cave diving. I've spent a large part of my life in areas of work and play that are mostly chosen by men. I am quite convinced there is a difference in thinking and motivation in play here.

I do think the amount of work involved in schlepping gear and maintaining gear plays some role, but mostly, it's temperament.

H2Andy:
i only have one question for you.

are you insane?

eyebrow
Embrace the cold. The trick is to let the cold in, don't block it out, if you do , you will freeze.

tjc:
Embrace the cold. The trick is to let the cold in, don't block it out, if you do , you will freeze.

yeah.... i see... makes perfect sense...

i think i'll pass, though

eyebrow

Back
Top Bottom