Diving Light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Even those that are buck-boost drivers often do not have constant output from the drivers hence the falloff in light output. If you look at the output curves they look suspiciously like the voltage curve of a li-po cell

Damn it. Lost a fairly long message, so I'll summarize it quickly.

Seems to me like it's more of a power supply issue than driver. If you try to output more than what the battery can output, your driver will always be at 100% on, ie there's no regulation taking place, and the output in the LED will follow that of the battery, regardless of the topology in use. This tendency can be seen in quite a few torches. I would be interested in seeing what happens to a BB TL2800p if you hook it up to a 4V 200W power supply.

In order to test this, you don't need tools to measure the output of the light. You just need an amp-meter to see what you're throwing in the LED and it will confirm your design. What comes out of the LED for a given current is not something you have control on anyway.

How relevant is all this technical stuff to divers? It isn't. What matters is that their lights *work*. From what I can see, the VL15000P is "better" (although less constant, yes, but really, I doubt photographers care about having 7500 or 7600 lumens) than the L&M Stella 7500. It also appears to be cheaper (but I couldn't compare on the same site, the difference was still significant at 1800$ for L&M and less than 1400 for BB).

So at the end of the day...

So, BB way over-exaggerates their numbers and Light & Motion, while they don't seem to over-exaggerate their numbers, compares their individual lights to lights that are typically priced $200-300 less (most of the time) calling them "competitors".

So, at the end of the day, I guess we can't trust any of them to be completely honest and above board.

Light and Motion Sola is a good light and has many fans. I think you can say the same about Big Blue.

I like Big Blue is metal with removeable batteries. Means I can have a spare battery and swap while other recharges. Plus I get more lumens for my $.

I have an Ano CLX-2300. Three modes, 2300 lumens, 6hr burn time on high, and half the price of comparable lights. Rated to 600ft.

Here's a link. A Lighter Ocean with Ano Dive Lights

I can get you in touch with the sales manager if you're interested. Mine has been to 270ft. Works like a champ and plenty happy with this light next to my buddies Halcyons.

Last edited:
Halcyon focus, it about 1300euro or so?
Wonderful light, im diving in sweden, usually cold and bad vis, about 2-5m usually, 7-8 IF we are lucky.

I'd just like to say that ise makes a great primary rig that is 3 1000lumen leds on a Goodman handle angled to all focus together. All three on produces about 2800lumen and you can use each in succession to extend battery run time. Each light is twist on/off for those with concerns about buttons. I've never used it but I dive with someone that does and it performs as well as my big blue 3100.

.... Each light is twist on/off for those with concerns about buttons..

Buttons vs twist on/off. Pluses and minuses to each. I prefer buttons for 1 handed operation and less likely to leak. I don't like the twist on/off design because that is where the o-ring sits.

Back
Top Bottom