Diving licences are nothing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1:
Personally, I don't see my certification being a "license" to Dive...If I want to do that I'll just take a resort course, pay a little extra and take a little time extra each time, and do my dives with a certified pro... I see getting my certification card as a means to KNOW what the heck I'm doing in order to keep myself (and others) safe.

The COURSE gives you that. The card is a credential. The credential represents to OTHERS that a (supposedly) trusted third party that you (supposedly) know what you're doing.

The four years in med school make sure you know how to cure people - the sheepskin is just a representation from a trusted party that you have in fact demonstrated that you know.

simbrooks:
As for c-card being a license to dive, learners permit is a phrase i used a lot on here, its a bit of both, but it certainly doesnt mean you are a master at diving.

Except that it's NOT a learners' permit. In most states, when you get a learner's permit for driving, it requires that a licensed driver (in many states over 18) must occupy the passenger seat or you go to jail.

There is no policy requiring ANY supervision or oversight to be verified before renting equipment or selling air to a C-card holder.

Scubaguy62:
As my fellow conchdiver, CBulla, has so eloquently stated, come dive South Florida, then ask "Why should boat owners [should] have to have a licence?"

I might see lots of things I personally find egregious.
Doesn't mean it justifies a law.

Scubaguy62:
The State of Florida makes no requirement of private boat owners to have any type of boat licensing or for that matter education (Sometimes I wonder if being able to read is also not a requirement, especially when you see, and hear about manatees being killed due to boat owners not "seeing" the sign "MANATEE ZONE IDDLE SPEED NO WAKE"). That's a recipe for disaster, and in many instances, has spelled disaster. Just ask Gloria Estefan. Unfortunately, the boating community in Florida has "superhuman" lobying powers in Tallahassee, which is something we, the SB diving community in So. Fla.(yes Colin, take the credit), are desperately trying to change.

And licensing won't do a thing about the issues you raise.
Drivers must be licensed, and yet our highways are often bathed in blood. Legal sanctions of at risk, or openly harmful, ACTIONS on boats, applied consistently and reliably, will be far more effective. How many people could easily pass a licensing test, then slam down a six pack and mow down some manatees? Now, if the next guy to run down a manatee did some hard time, THAT would have far more deterrent effect.

Scubaguy62:
As far as willing to use force to enforce compliance, not necessarily. The use of force is only authorized in the face of threat of great bodily harm, or death. Enforcing compliance is more of a deterrent than a call for the use of force.

Um, that would be the standard for DEADLY force. There are other forms of force besides a bullet. Handcuffs are a form of forcible restraint. His statement was correct that the reason the Constitution restrains govt, and not private institutions, is that govt. reserves to itself the allowance to use coercive force.

miketsp:
Is there no third party insurance requirement for boats in S.Florida?
In many countries the thing becomes self-policing because you need insurance.
Then the insurers will charge more to non-qualified buyers as the risk is higher.
So there is an incentive to get qualified.

Or even without an insurance requirement, you can essentially require insurance by not allowing unrecoverable people to walk away from civil liability. Bring back the debtor's prisons, the workhouses....

Mr Mares:
How does this work if your a tourist coming to Quebec to dive :11:

Look at other recreational licenses - time-limited, non-resident licenses to fish and hunt are outrageously expensive. After all, the tourist can't vote.

lairdb:
So what. Once again: compelling public interest. If you get hit, sue the pants off them, civilly. Other than that, it shouldn't be any of the state's business.

One problem with that - what if they're unrecoverable?
Civil liability only works if you have a way to make it
hurt the deadbeats.

Personal responsibility is definitely the best way to go, but then you have to make it universal, and in today's society, that's considered too mean.

Scubaguy62:
Actually, I don't know where you live, because your profile isn't filled in, but in Florida, if you refuse to pay your speeding fine, your license gets suspended and it will cost you a lot more to get it reinstated. I don't see any force in that.

And in most states, there is no way to get it reinstated without paying the fine, and if you're caught driving on a suspended license, you will learn about force in the form of handcuffs and jail walls.

The State of Florida makes no requirement of private boat owners to have any type of boat licensing or for that matter education (Sometimes I wonder if being able to read is also not a requirement, especially when you see, and hear about manatees being killed due to boat owners not "seeing" the sign "MANATEE ZONE IDDLE SPEED NO WAKE").

. How many people could easily pass a licensing test, then slam down a six pack and mow down some manatees? Now, if the next guy to run down a manatee did some hard time, THAT would have far more deterrent effect

Whoa, Whoa, dont even start with the manatee stuff unless you know something about it. Not meant as a hijack but the manatee ***** is a sore point and leave it be said there is a lot more to it than what was illuded to in the above two posts.

Oh and lets just pass another law, we passed a law to stop the drug problem in the US and now no more drug problems right? Hey with approx 14000 gun laws we no longer have problems with guns right?

Sorry;..... please continue with your verbal randori

Trolling, trolling, why do folks like trolling....

Scubaguy62:
The State of Florida makes no requirement of private boat owners to have any type of boat licensing or for that matter education (Sometimes I wonder if being able to read is also not a requirement, especially when you see, and hear about manatees being killed due to boat owners not "seeing" the sign "MANATEE ZONE IDDLE SPEED NO WAKE"). That's a recipe for disaster, and in many instances, has spelled disaster. Just ask Gloria Estefan. Unfortunately, the boating community in Florida has "superhuman" lobying powers in Tallahassee, which is something we, the SB diving community in So. Fla.(yes Colin, take the credit), are desperately trying to change.

what about estafan i dont follow i didnt think she had anything to do with boating. care to elaborate

also never underestimate the power of the lobby as at times they make me wonder if they even live in reality

tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom