Diving Lauderdale By The Sea (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For anyone interested in knowing what it's like or what there is to see diving LBTS, I've embedded a short 3 minute clip from my dive this past Friday 16 August 2013. Best watched in 1080P HD if you have a fast connection. Fun dive when the weather and the vis cooperates.
[video=youtube;8SM7wJm_7IA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SM7wJm_7IA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thank you! I've been interested in some of the U.S.-based shore diving options, particularly in Florida, and your video helps me understand much more effectively than just reading about it, since you included surface footage showing the look back at the beach. Nice find on the nurse shark tucked away up under that coral head.

I take it there's a fairly long swim out before one hits much reef?

Roughly what depth range was the dive? I ask since the shallower the dive, the longer the tank lasts.

Is there a 'beach front' or nearby dive shop to rent tanks & weights at? Be nice if one could rent larger tanks, like a steel 120 cf.

That a yellow stingray you filmed?

Richard.

Thanks Rich. Glad the video was useful.

As far as the swim out goes, there are 3 reef lines. The first line is about 150 -200 yards out I'd guess, and looks like a bunch of swiss cheese with holes about a foot deep. The 2nd reef line is about 400 yards or so out (basically I get even with the pier, then swim another 100 yards). The third reef (or the first ledge) is all the way out to the mooring balls and I'd guess its about 800 yards out. This video is of the 2nd reef line. It takes about 15minutes or so to get out there.

The average depth I'd say is 15' to the sand. With an AL80 (right at 3200), I got 1 hr and 30 minutes of dive time, and was back on the beach with 1100 PSI still in the tank. A little conservative, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Gold Coast Scuba is about a quarter mile away from the beach front. They are a full service shop. I do believe they have large tanks they can rent, but I generally bring my own gear, so I'm not 100% sure about their rental selection.

I think it's a yellow stingray, but I'm no marine biologist lol.

Hope that helps.

-Sean

lbts.jpg
Edited to add a map - I used to park north of the pier because the parking meter takes credit cards so I don't have to worry about having a bunch of quarters, but the reef on the north side of the pier is covered in sand now, so you definitely want to dive the south side of the pier.

Last edited:
thnx for posting

one of my favorite beach diving sites is LBTS... thanks for sharing.

Thank you! I've been interested in some of the U.S.-based shore diving options, particularly in Florida, and your video helps me understand much more effectively than just reading about it, since you included surface footage showing the look back at the beach. Nice find on the nurse shark tucked away up under that coral head.

I take it there's a fairly long swim out before one hits much reef?

Roughly what depth range was the dive? I ask since the shallower the dive, the longer the tank lasts.

Is there a 'beach front' or nearby dive shop to rent tanks & weights at? Be nice if one could rent larger tanks, like a steel 120 cf.

That a yellow stingray you filmed?

Richard.

I have rented 80,100,120 from Gold Coast - they have full selection of gear to rent - the rental gear is some of what's sold in the shop as well. Park at Datura or Hibiscus & swim out. the first reef actually has a lot to see. Rays, the rare Manta Ray, turtles, no lobster though :)

I believe they also can do a guided dive if you want as well (not sure how much)
The air there is the Mod E so clean enough for O2 clean tanks.

considering checking out the 2nd reef myself on Saturday or sunday... haven't bothered past the 1st so far...

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 12:24 PM ----------

Anybody up to Datura on Sat morning? 1st or 2nd reef? guess would be early around 8 or 8:30 gonna think the parking will fill up quick since it's labor day weekend.

I'm shooting for Sunday morning, but might hit up Jupiter for a boat dive instead... feeling lazy

i'm definately headed over to the shop tomorrow morning to top off my tank... then maybe a dive
depends on how the weather is behaving

My buddy canceled on me last night, so I didn't make the drive this morning. Going to have to put it off until next weekend. Hope you had a good dive!

decided to sleep in as much as i could this weekend... still ended up with steak & lobster dinner last night though (from a previous catch)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom