Diving Lanier during the week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Carl, have you dove at Blue Water Adventures over at Pelham, Ala. near Birmingham? I heard it can have great vis, 30-70 ft. sometimes. I would like to dive over there on some weekend in August. I hear it's about 2.5-3 hours. from Atlanta. It has all different depths and things to see. I plan on taking my PADI AOW checkout dives there later this Fall.
Let me know if that's something you would like to do sometime before the summer ends.
If you could wear a LARGE, I will loan you my 7mm wetsuit to use there as well.

Last edited:
Boozer
Welcome to Scuba board. Have you ever dove Lanier? I was in yesterday and it was bad. I guess it was the wind blowing the silt of the island points. We were at a place our dock gang call 4th of July. I don’t know why the gang named it that, you cant see any fire works from there. But either way it was about 2' viz and when you hit the 22' mark where the thermo cline is it got real bad. Just burning up air yesterday. So I did some playing around with my buoyancy and was doing pretty good. Most of the time we are crawling around on the bottom since the viz can be bad at times.

Yesterday was no fun :(
Stiltwalker

I have to work next weekend. I’m going this Wednesday; (I think) The anchor business is starting to look better. I had two calls today from my add on Craig’s List.

I'm thinking about going to Dive Haven this Friday They are closed all week and are only open on the weekends so I want to go when they open up at 12 noon Friday They say the have a bus, car, van and a crane. Sounds like fun. Most of it is at about 20'-30'. Id rather go diving then go to work.

That sounds better then Lanier, at least once.
Stiltwalker

hi guys, I live in Northwest Georgia and finding dive spots is challenging. All the water in the local lakes has terrible visibility, IE cant see my hand in front of my face. I read your diving Lanier, Are there any other places that are good ? I live in Chatsworth, near Dalton.

I haven't dove there yet, but I've heard that Dive Haven(up near your way) has a little better vis that Lake Lanier. Lanier is down alot, so there is less water to suspend all the silt and stuff, so in turn the vis is not the best. I dive there because it's fairly close to where I live.
Alabama Blue Water is the best I've heard from those who have dove it. It's near Birmingham, Alabama.

lets go to Alabama, Soon!!!!!! I want to see more then 6'

Looking for some fun
Stiltwalker

hi guys, I live in Northwest Georgia and finding dive spots is challenging. All the water in the local lakes has terrible visibility, IE cant see my hand in front of my face. I read your diving Lanier, Are there any other places that are good ? I live in Chatsworth, near Dalton.
You're about 45 minutes south of a great little dive quarry: Loch Low-Minn, in Athens, Tn. Much closer than Lanier, much better viz, more to see, (check out the paddlefish we photo'd there last weekend, in another Looney Birds thread), and you can get your tanks refilled.

I live 15 minutes from Lanier, but I'd rather drive almost 3 hours to dive the Loch.

LOCHLOWMINN MAIN PAGE

Yes, Stiltwalker, let's plan on going to Alabama in the next few weeks. I still have some remaining cold junk in me, so I won't be able to dive this weekend, but for sure in a few weeks.
I have heard that Alabama Bluewater has some of the best vis (sometimes) this side of the tropics.
It's about 2.5 hours away from Atlanta. So we could leave early on a Sat. a.m. and get there in time to have at least one great dive if not two. The offer still stands on using my 7mm large wetsuit if you would like. I know it be COLD .
It would be great if BKP could join us too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom