Diving Land-based Bali - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CZM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning my first trip to SEA and have selected Bali. I prefer wall, drift, and pelagic. I'll be there for 27 dive days, and I prefer to stay put in one location. Not huge into nightlife, but I do like to putz around when not diving and experience the culture, so not into remote eco sites.

Any suggestions as to location? Operators? Also, worth investing in tank analyzer for CO? Finally, as it is my first trip to SEA, I have a bit of concern with box and Irukandji jellies...any issues?

27 days is a long time in Bali to stay in 1 destination, I often go for 2.5 weeks and usually take in 2 locations. 3-4 is easily doable in 27 days
Nusa Lembongan - half hour fast boat ride from Bali, some great drift dives along PED, chance of Mola Mola in their season and a reliable Manta station, I use Bali Diving Academy and usually book a villa up on the hill as the views are fantastic
Candidasa - Benthos Bali and there are some great dives out front in the channel such as Mimpang & Tepekong with varying degrees of current
Tulamben- Liberty Wreck and some good macro so well worth it
Pemuteran- I always go here as it is quiet and chilled and only half hour boat ride up to Menjangan Island, some current but lots of fish life and lovely corals, again I use Bali Diving Academy
No box or jellies - well at least I have never come across any

Grm has nailed it.

To get the best out Bali you need to move around a bit and include Ubud for some land based relaxation, Lemongan is also a must

I would also do a trip to the Gili's and Gili Air if you like solitude and Gili Trawangan if you like to party, but the diving on the Gili's was great.

Not been to Bali in 20 years, but used to spend a lot of time there, Lombok and Sumbawa surfing and diving for up to 5 months a year in the late 90's

Reactions: CZM
From my last ten years diving every year once or twice in Bali, my opinion is ...Drift, blue water and big stuff diving (especially diving between august and october for the Mola mola) is limited in Bali to Nusa Penida and Padang Bai/Candi Dasa area. You can combine diving both places staying in Padang Bai (better for hunting Mola2 which is often seen in nearby sites like Gilli Mimpang and Tepekong), I usually dive with Gekodivers that have very good speed boats.

You really should consider hopping to Komodo (Labuan Bajo) which has everything you want and takes only a cheap 2h flight to get there.
Corals are fantastic there and you'll get your share of sharks and manta rays, much much better than Bali in that respect.

Dive centres are very professional, some of them provide nitrox for free (like Gekodivers) just bring your usual dive equipment and a solid 5mm wetsuit if you're diving Nusa Penida.It can be so cold (20C thermoclines are not unusual).

Agreed, 27d is too long in one spot. And there are many good spots already mentioned. Don't miss Ubud.
Contact the Underwater Tribe and have them set up a "safari" for you to see the best dive spots around Bali.
Very reliable, good to work with. No fuss on your part: they make all the arrangements.

Bali + Labuan Bajo(for Komodo)
Bali: Padang Bai
Labuan Bajo: Scuba Junkie Komodo

Ubud: You are at least 20 yrs too late for this place. Remind me of Chiang Mai I first visited in late 80s.

Definitely go to Komodo and Nusa Lembongan. NL is much more chill than Bali and no crazy traffic and not built up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom