• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Diving Lake Dillon?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by wetrat, Aug 20, 2005.

1. wetrat

wetrat Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hello Oysters,

Has anyone ever dived in Lake Dillon, Colorado? I grew up in Denver and we often camped on the shores of the lake. My father told me there was a whole town at the bottom of that lake, covered by water after they built the dam. Many ghost stories around the campfire were based on that underwater town. It was always my fantasy to dive there - colder than a witches wart I know, and probably deep too, but I was just wondering. :crafty:

wetrat

2. HowardE

HowardE Diver

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    My original PADI instructor had video from lake dillon. It's dark, merky, cold, and not much to see... But I guess if you're desperate to make a cold water (DRY SUIT ONLY) altitude dive... then go for it... But from the video, there's not too much to see, and the flooded homes from old dillon are over 200' down.

3. roakey

roakey Old, not bold diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    By my understanding, all lakes that are part of Denver's water supply (Dillon being one of them) do not allow "human contact". No swimming, no waterskiing, no diving. But it's OK for your oily motor to create a slick on it.

Go figure.

Roak

4. wetrat

wetrat Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499

Well... that definitely wouldn't be worth it, unless there was TREASURE to be had!!! :pirate1: Maybe an old bank vault? I'm sure all that was cleared before the flooding. Must be the pirate in me or something.

Thanks for the info guys,

wetrat

5. dimitrik

dimitrik Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199

They don't want you to drink before you buy :D