Diving Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregbran

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Need help deciding in a dive trip Trying to decide between CoCo view and the Keys. I have dove the Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan and Virgin Islands but have yet do do a Florida dive. Would some who has done both compare for me.

If you're trying to compare those places to KEY WEST, I'd say there's no comparison; however, if you're interested in Key Largo, that's a different story.

We alternate between Key Largo and Roatan. We have also visited the other places you mentioned. Key Largo is our dive "home" in the United States and Roatan is our go to spot out of the country. We love each spot for different reasons.

Key Largo is (in my opinion) the best diving to be found in the continental United States. There's something for everyone -from beginner to technical. Sea life is plentiful, varied and interesting. World class wrecks abound. You can do 4 or 5 dives a day with no problem, or you can dive the mornings and play in the afternoon/evening. There are lots of places to have a great meal and enjoy the surroundings. Plus, it's really convenient to have the ability to enjoy great diving and still be in the U.S. where the water is safe to drink, your health insurance works and convenience stores are around the corner.

On the other hand, Roatan has a completely different underwater landscape and some of the most consistently pleasing reef structures to be found. For me, one of the key factors has been that it is less expensive to dive Roatan than some other areas in the Caribbean.

If you're trying to decide between Key West and CocoView, I'd say CocoView hands down. But if you're interested in diving Florida, I'd highly recommend Key Largo instead. Just my opinion...

I've done Grand Cayman and Belize; and I live and dive in Florida regularly. For a "first Keys" experience, I completely agree that the Key Largo area is the place to start. In Key West itself, the local day boat diving, in my opinion, is not as varied and generally lower quality as the upper/middle Keys. However, I highly recommend a trip to the Dry Tortugas on M/V Spree.

I've done Grand Cayman and Belize; and I live and dive in Florida regularly. For a "first Keys" experience, I completely agree that the Key Largo area is the place to start. In Key West itself, the local day boat diving, in my opinion, is not as varied and generally lower quality as the upper/middle Keys. However, I highly recommend a trip to the Dry Tortugas on M/V Spree.

Thanks for the kind words, Dave, I also recommend Finz Diving to get away from the maddening crowds. Key West diving can be awesome, with real wrecks and incredible reefs and no other divers, but the KW day boats don't go to those places. They go to the same old tired reefs a thousand cruise ship snorklers hit every day. Of course, the very best mostest healthiest reefs in Florida are in the Dry Tortugas. There are a number of boats that go there, including a day boat if you aren't a fan of liveaboard.

Of course...I should have clarified my opinion. My opinion is that overall the diving in Key Largo is the best in the continental U.S. - UNLESS you have the opportunity to visit the Dry Tortugas aboard the M/V Spree with Wookie out of Key West :wink:

Nothing wrong with Key Largo, if I didn't want to go liveaboard, that's where I'd go locally. I spent the last 2 weeks diving there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom