Diving Key Largo in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMichael

Registered
Reaction score
Hi: I am wondering how the diving is in Key Largo in November. How is the weather, the sea, the visibility? Any recommodation on a dive operator in Key Largo. Is it worth it or should I postpone it to the next summer?

Diving in the Florida Keys in November is great. Water temp is in the lower 80's to upper 70's, visibility averages around 50', and seas are usually 0 to 3 feet, depending on storms that can come through during this time of year. If you plan on coming down for at least 4 or 5 days, you'll be sure to get in at least a few days of diving, even is a storm does come through. Just try to avoid NASCAR week which start the 13th. Hotel prices almost double during that event.

Most of the dive operators, including myself, work with hotels to get you the best rate possible, so check with them when booking. Good luck and I'm sure you'll have a great time down here in the beautiful Florida Keys. If there are any questions you might have, don't hesitate to call.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Hi Michael!!

Capt. Gary get a great job of summing up the conditions for diving in Key Largo in November! Many of my friends perfer diving this time of year, since the crowds seem to be a bit smaller.

When booking your hotel, don't forget that Thanksgiving is the end of the month and some of the hotels raise their prices for the 3 day holiday.

Do a search on SB, and you will find a great overview of dive shops in the Keys. Everything from larger boats, to the smaller!! Find one that fits your needs and personality, give them a call and have a great time diving! :)

Pat

Consider Marina del Mar, MM 100 --- relatively inexpensive, within walking distance to Ocean Divers, a nice outfit

Weatherwise, check out the Molasses reef buoy data available on line through the National Weather Service. It will give current water temp and wind info at the most popular reef dive sites. Sea conditions more or less depend on the wind. Winds in excess of 15 kts, particularly from the south, can make for a tough day (or so the people who dive there daily tell me).

The weather forecasts for Key largo apparently come from south Florida weather stations and may not reflect what's happening on the reefs. For example, I've seen the forecast call for daily thunderstorms for key Largo and we had nothing but clear and sunny weather six miles offshore in the boats (although we could see the storms in the distance). So don't be put off by bad weather reports. The deeper dives are more often hampered by strong currents, which are harder to predict on a day to day basis.

The water has been exceptionally warm this year in the keys. Good Diving!:14:

MsParamedic:
When booking your hotel, don't forget that Thanksgiving is the end of the month and some of the hotels raise their prices for the 3 day holiday.

The NASCAR races in Homestead on the 18th/19th next month will also cause the Key Largo hotels to raise their rates a bit (as previously pointed out by Capt. Gary in a very similar thread).

I just returned from a 3-day trip to Key Largo. We dived with Blue Water Divers. 30' boat, they take 10 people max., usually no more than 8. Great crew, had a blast. They offered a discount at the Marina Del Mar Hotel. Clean, within walking distance of boat and places to eat, although we were lazy and drove to the boat.

Just returned myself from Key Largo. We also dove with Blue Water Divers. Great group made us feel very comfortable. It's the slow season in Key Largo right now, not a lot of tourist which made getting into restaurants, etc. very easy. I would think if you went in early November before the Christmas season started you would have the same conditions.

The water temp was 85 and beautiful weather every day. Hmmm...now that I think about it I do have an extra day off in early November heheheh :):eyebrow:

Just got back from a trip down there. We dove with Conch Republic and had a great time. We'll definitely be back as soon as we can.

They had the big boat going out to Spiegel Grove that day. We took the smaller boat out to Snapper Ledge (amazing) and Horseshoe Reef. Had a wonderful day.

The staff/crew took very good care of us. See you soon, Capt. Gary!

In case anyone else has this question, keysdivereport.com shows all the dive reports every day for the entire Florida Keys..Key Largo to Key West, it shows visibility, sea conditions, blue water/green water on site, etc.
It even has a photo of the site.

I clicked on this to recommend Conch Republic Divers and I see that Capt. Gary has already responded. :) One of the great things about November diving is that the boats and reefs are less crowded. In fact, if before Thanksgiving, everything is less crowded and lodging is less pricey. You may find the water to be chilly so bring or rent a wetsuit.

OOPS I just saw that Ohanadiver actually just resurrected a ten year old thread! Oh well, it's still got lots of good advice. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom