Diving Kauai and what you should know

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquamanKauai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Approaching 20 years of diving here in the Hawaiian Islands there are few things I have enjoyed more than the opportunity to utilize ScubaBoard to meet and help divers have fantastic experiences here in Hawaii. I have also been consistently more and more impressed by the dive professionals here that seem to feel the same way (Shaka Doug and Scottie the Duck of note on Maui and Oahu respectively). Having worked and having dove on all the islands, I especially like to educate and prepare divers for the unique nature of diving on Kauai as it relates to the other islands. On Kauai we have several very professional and highly regarded companies such as Explore Kauai Scuba, Fathom Five Divers, Kauai Down Under and SeaSports Divers to name a few. At each company you can find staff members with vast experience on the island.

Speaking more directly to the topic - Kauai is very unique in many ways and (at times) presents challenges that divers may not be aware of when learning/researching diving in Hawaii as a whole. When possible, I love to prepare divers for some of these potential differences so they can be prepared and plan accordingly.

Kauai is for one - the only island where the primary diving is not on western (leeward) side of the island. What does this mean for visiting divers? The trade winds that blow in Hawaiian waters are from the NE. This makes western shores/coastal waters protected a very high percentage of the year. On Kauai the west side of the island is the Napali Coast which in part due to it's 2,000 ft+ sea cliffs - does not have a harbor. While diving exists on the west side (Napali Coast) it is generally a long trip and a little more advanced due to commonly encountered strong currents. (As a side note - if you are to dive the Napali Coast and the amazing Mana Crack dives - I suggest Explore Kauai Scuba which has by far the shortest run.)

So where is the primary diving on Kauai? South shore almost exclusively. What this means for divers is that Kauai's primary diving is in waters that are much more exposed to the tradewinds and when they are blowing you are likely to experience rougher surface waters than that of the other islands. There are many periods of very flat and calm waters on Kauai but nowhere near that of Kona for example, which has the calmest waters of the Hawaiian islands on the year round average. Often divers come from diving Maui and or Kona and find themselves caught off guard for these conditions.

Morning dives are typically by far the calmest of waters as the trade winds peak in late morning / early afternoon usually. Dive sites are less limited in the am prior to winds kicking up If you are into looking at the weather forecast you can expect the best of conditions when the winds are 15 mph of less. Light and variable and or north winds usually make for the best south side diving.

When winds are up consider shore diving. This is true of Maui as well with an abundance of easy entry great dives from shore. Kauai has an off the charts shore diving called "Koloa Landing" that is so rich with rare critters and turtles that I dive there on my days off even after some 17 years of diving here. Don't be dissuaded by terrible thoughts of lugging gear through sand and entries into pounding surf like your California certification (wink, wink) either - as so many of Hawaii's shore dives have great vis and shallow depths that offer long bottom times in protected environments.

In the interest of not making this post to long I encourage those of you interested in diving Kauai to reach out and ask any questions you may have. I'd love to help with suggestions on appropriate dive sites for different skill levels: Divemasters to request; Who should and who shouldn't go to Niihau; Beating the sea sick bug; Suggested training courses; Great after dive Sushi spots....Sometimes it takes a little extra planning, but Kauai diving can easily be an unforgettable experience that keeps you coming back for years. If I can ever help with any dive plans for Kauai or other islands I am happy to do so.

Hope to see you underwater soon
A

love Hawaiian diving...thanks for the info....

Hi aquamankauai, we r in princeville right now! We had hoped to do a shore dive if the conditions were decent. It looked pretty rough yesterday. We are here til the 18th. We thought of koloan landing . I read about the tunnels. Today I read about scooters. Never did that.sounds fun. My husband and I are here with nondivers. Unfortunately Niihau is out of our picture this trip. Any suggestions for companies or dive masters ?

Hi aquamankauai, we r in princeville right now! We had hoped to do a shore dive if the conditions were decent. It looked pretty rough yesterday. We are here til the 18th. We thought of koloan landing . I read about the tunnels. Today I read about scooters. Never did that.sounds fun. My husband and I are here with nondivers. Unfortunately Niihau is out of our picture this trip. Any suggestions for companies or dive masters ?

Aloha and thanks for the message. Of the 2 spots I would highly suggest Koloa Landing if you are in to critters. It's a fantastic dive that is loaded with critters. It's also shallow and protected. You can expect to see lots of turtles, eels, rare and endemic fish, potential for octopus, lion fish, scorpionfish, Frogfish and more...Tunnels is a good spot if you are interested in topography but not rich in life. It also tends to be the lowest vis' on the island of any site. Currents can also rip up there so I highly suggest a guide and diving in the am should you choose to go that route.

I'm currently diving Niihau tomorrow and south shore boats through Sunday. If you want a sure thing for a fantastic 2 tank dive at Koloa Landing contact Nick with EXPLORE KAUAI SCUBA. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to send anyone his way. He has a great deal of experience here on island and is simply a great divemaster/instructor. New gear, great passion for diving, and a great guy. I hope you have success hooking up to dive with him if you haven't chosen a guide/shop yet. If I can help out in any other way just let me know. I hope the island is treating you well. It's a beautiful afternoon down here on the south shore. Have a great evening.

A

Explore Kauai Scuba 1-808-755-5257

Aquaman - thanks for the great article. I am coming to Maui and Kauai next week (7/21-7/31) and am looking to dive at least 2x in Maui, and probably 1x in Kauai. Is there a "must dive" site in Kauai you recommend? We are staying in Hanalei but will have wheels and could get to the south side if needed. I'm certified open water, but the paint is still new (was very comfortable with drift dive in Cozumel last year - but do not have many dives under my belt).

Timely article! I'll be there starting next week, and planning to dive with Fathom Five (most likely) as I've been with them the past 4 Kauai vacations. I was hoping to do my 100th dive there, but I'll miss it by just a few. I've had good luck boat diving on the south side, and once was able to get a shore dive (with guide) into Tunnels when the water was calm.

Thanks for the great article.

Well, got my reservations in... 2 tank boat dive and a 2 tank shore dive at Tunnels. I don't want to go to work on Monday or Tuesday, just want to be in Kauai *now* :)

Thanks AquamanKauai for posting or I might have waited too long to get everything set.

Timely article! I'll be there starting next week, and planning to dive with Fathom Five (most likely) as I've been with them the past 4 Kauai vacations. I was hoping to do my 100th dive there, but I'll miss it by just a few. I've had good luck boat diving on the south side, and once was able to get a shore dive (with guide) into Tunnels when the water was calm.

Thanks for the great article.
Thanks Tep,
I actually work with FF currently. If I can help you with anything while you are here just let me know. The water has been fantastic lately and we are having fantastic critter dives of late. Consider Koloa Landing as a shore dive. It's amazing and loaded with great critters! I dive there on my days off often.

Don't limit me as a resource for diving only. If I can help you with anything outside of diving I am happy to do so.

Have a great weekend
A

Back
Top Bottom