Diving Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey storm thanks for the info that was really helpfull sorry it took awhile to get back. I would really like to get a dive job finding wrecks and stuff thats my life time but right now im working at Yamaha as an apperntice and i know my spelling sucks but im trying to get it better just think last year i could not even spell im behind on everyone cause i have a learning problem the only thing i can learn fast is diving and im in love with it. i even dream about it when im sleeping :0 diving to a really nice wreck really deep mmmm haha thanks guys

whatdecostop?:
ChrisCrash
I will probably be "hung,drawn and quartered" for saying this; but here goes....get a proper education DUDE!!!.
From what I see of your communication skills (written); your not particulaly articulate or grammatically astute in your use of the English language. All jobs; no matter where they are in the world require a decent command of the "local" language, including SCUBA DM/Instructor etc etc etc It is a requirement to have GOOD communications skills.Start by completing High School and then see what takes your fancy from there.

If diving is your passion then follow some of the career paths mentioned in previous threads.

Schools and school systems exist for a variety of reasons*. Some address learning issues well, some do not. Understandably, the gatekeeper disciplines of reading, writing and math are fundamentals. However, without knowing the specifics of the learning dynamic from a 360 perspective, recommendations like "get a proper education" run vague. In the US, a common recommendation for the homeless is "get a job". Again, without knowing specifics - recommendations like "get a job" do little to address the extant factors, or harsh circumstances that led to homelessness in the first place.

* Some institutions (at the turn of the century in the US) were created to make line workers. Others, to create leaders. Large discrepancies still exist with the word "equality & education".

Scuba Brad:
Do you know how to make a million in the Dive business??? ____________________

Happy Diving
Start with three million. Buy a dive shop, and by the end of the first year, you'll have one million. :)

ChrisCrash:
Hey storm thanks for the info that was really helpfull sorry it took awhile to get back. I would really like to get a dive job finding wrecks and stuff thats my life time but right now im working at Yamaha as an apperntice and i know my spelling sucks but im trying to get it better just think last year i could not even spell im behind on everyone cause i have a learning problem the only thing i can learn fast is diving and im in love with it. i even dream about it when im sleeping :0 diving to a really nice wreck really deep mmmm haha thanks guys

Chris,

This is long so I appologize.

One of the best, although for some a difficult, method to help you with your language skills, is to read a lot. As you read, you not only take in the information or story, but you also get exposure to proper grammar, sentence structure, spelling, etc.

When I was younger, a little younger than you are now, I had many problems in school. My study habits were not well developed, and my interest just was not there. As a result, my grades were low, and in fact, I was almost held back twice. Then something happened that helped me get over "the hump".

I have poor vision due to birth a defect and when I hit fourteen, it was time for the last set of my eye operations. For a few weeks after the operations, I had to keep the bandages over my eyes, so I was quite literally blind. My older sister (a complete brainiac and straight A student) had to take time off from school to look after me. The only way she could come up with to keep hyperactive me from tearing the bandages off and running around was to read to me.

She started with books by Mark Twain, Robert Louis Stevenson, Alexander Dumas and Jack London, then by the time, my eyes had healed and I could see for myself again, I was attacking Dickens, Doyle, and Tolkien. The next few years surprised even me. My study habits improved, my grades got better. I still dropped out early (a decision I now regret), but that was more a result of my then inability to see the worth of an education than my abilities to master the subjects.

By all of this, I mean to say that you should use every opportunity you have to keep yourself immersed in books and one effect strategy is to read about an area of interest or passion. In your case, diving and diving related books are a good start, but can be a bit dry. Try adding a sprinkle of fiction that is not necessarily diving related, but about the sea and historical in nature. (Ties in with wreck diving a bit)

Feel free to PM me anytime if you need any help.

BTW

I have added a few titles of books that might help you keep reading. They begin with well-told stories, about characters close to your age and are well written but easy to read, then they progress to a bit more complex writing styles, then end with reference type books.

The Wreckers
The Smugglers
The Buccaneers
Author: Iain Lawrence

Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything...
Author: Robert Kurson

Lost At Sea Ghost Ships and Other Stories
Authors: Michael Goss, George Behe

Dark Descent
Authors: Kevin F. McMurray

Treacherous Waters: Kingston's Shipwrecks
The 100 BEST Great Lakes Shipwrecks Volume 1
The 100 BEST Great Lakes Shipwrecks Volume II
The Great Lakes Diving Guide
Author: Chris Kohl

Mr.X:
Schools and school systems exist for a variety of reasons*. Some address learning issues well, some do not. Understandably, the gatekeeper disciplines of reading, writing and math are fundamentals. However, without knowing the specifics of the learning dynamic from a 360 perspective, recommendations like "get a proper education" run vague. In the US, a common recommendation for the homeless is "get a job". Again, without knowing specifics - recommendations like "get a job" do little to address the extant factors, or harsh circumstances that led to homelessness in the first place.

* Some institutions (at the turn of the century in the US) were created to make line workers. Others, to create leaders. Large discrepancies still exist with the word "equality & education".

I have been in both situations over the course of my life; educationally deficient, and homeless. In my case, the former disadvantage, lead to the latter situation. It took 10 years to get back on track and I started with improving my education, which lead to better employment, which lead to owning a home. Yes without the 360-degree view, it is disingenuous to say “get and education and leave it at that”, but standing by and not trying to help is equally disingenuous. One does not have to see the whole picture before offering someone basic help and advice.

Storm:
I have been in both situations over the course of my life; educationally deficient, and homeless. In my case, the former disadvantage, lead to the latter situation. It took 10 years to get back on track and I started with improving my education, which lead to better employment, which lead to owning a home. Yes without the 360-degree view, it is disingenuous to say “get and education and leave it at that”, but standing by and not trying to help is equally disingenuous. One does not have to see the whole picture before offering someone basic help and advice.

Cheers mate. I agree wholeheartedly with your grounded perspective(s). X

cnctina:
You could join the navy and do real tech diving.

When you join the navy is anything real??? Dont join the navy if you would like a proper career in diving meeting normal people and being able to live your life the way you like to. School is for losers. I left school young and became a PRO windsurfer. Then 8 years later I pursued diving and now after less than a year and a half I have my own dive centre in thailand and i am a staff instructor technical dive instructor. All you need is alot of money and determination and you will go as far as you need to go.

Matty:
When you join the navy is anything real??? Dont join the navy if you would like a proper career in diving meeting normal people and being able to live your life the way you like to. School is for losers. I left school young and became a PRO windsurfer. Then 8 years later I pursued diving and now after less than a year and a half I have my own dive centre in thailand and i am a staff instructor technical dive instructor. All you need is alot of money and determination and you will go as far as you need to go.

With all due respect... you are the minority, as far as dive careers/education/etc goes. I hope you were being sarcastic.....

Chris...

There's lots of good advice in the last 3 pages... all without being judgemental. Take heed of the good advice... starting with education first... then apply desire, skill, and funding, and see what comes of your dive career. Best of luck!

cnctina:
You could join the navy and do real tech diving.
OR
Get a very rich girlfriend who wants to spend a plethora of money on you.

Gary D. :D

Gary D.:
OR
Get a very rich girlfriend who wants to spend a plethora of money on you.

Gary D. :D
I admit failing miserably in this aspect. Perhaps PADI should have a course on this: How to marry rich and support your diving career! If I had that c-card, I wouldn't go for a poor girl. :D

Back
Top Bottom