Diving is my water sport!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chopalua

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone. Husband and I completed our PADI Open Referral in Cancun, and loved the diving so much, we arranged for another 4 dives. Two were off Cozumel where we went down a little more than 90'!

Learning to dive was a big step for me. I've grown up around some sort of water feature, used to go water skiing frequently and family lives right on the beach. I've had a healthy respect for water. Learning how to dive is super important to me. There is a risk factor, but this can be superceded through proper safety steps. I like this aspect about diving.

While I only have 8 dives under my belt, each one I learn a lot. I look forward to the next dive challenge, most likely in cold water in July 2010 on Catalina Island.

Thanks for reading!

Hello everyone. Husband and I completed our PADI Open Referral in Cancun, and loved the diving so much, we arranged for another 4 dives. Two were off Cozumel where we went down a little more than 90'!

Learning to dive was a big step for me. I've grown up around some sort of water feature, used to go water skiing frequently and family lives right on the beach. I've had a healthy respect for water. Learning how to dive is super important to me. There is a risk factor, but this can be superceded through proper safety steps. I like this aspect about diving.

While I only have 8 dives under my belt, each one I learn a lot. I look forward to the next dive challenge, most likely in cold water in July 2010 on Catalina Island.

Thanks for reading!

This why even if you pay me I will not go to Cozumel to dive. Irresponsible behavior that risks new divers lives. Those dives were beyond recommended limits. Did you do them on your own or were they guided? If guided the guide is a dangerous individual. Read this thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

This was inspired by two new divers in Grand Cayman on one of these "trust me we do it all the time" dives. One is dead after he hit 342 ft and made a 2 minute ascent from 302 feet. Course he was dead long before that he just did not know it. What was your SAC rate at 90 feet? Don't know? Why? Who planned the dive? Did you verify the dive plan with your buddy and have a back up if things went to crap? Hope so. It happens very fast down there.:shakehead:

Jim you are absolutely right!

Either way, Chopalua welcome to fansinating world of scuba! This was definetly not your fault. As you continue to gain more experience you will hopefully notice what proper conduct during and before a dive entails. If you have any questions, feel free. You have the cream of the crop divers in this forum.

My first dive experience was on a dive safari in the Red Sea. I paid the dive guide fifty bucks for a crash course and he let me dive with no experience what so ever. Stuff happens. Keep your wits about you and use your instinct. You will enjoy this "hobby" for a long time.

Jim-

I didn't add a lot of details, but really didn't think that I was going to get some heated responses from people about my dives, or put me down because eof where I chose to dive.

First of all, it was a guided dive with a DM who has been doing this for over 20 years. Additionally, we were accompanied by an advanced diver, total of four of us. Second, we did complete a dive plan. Third, we were at 90' for maybe 5 minutes in the middle of the dive, then ascended back up to 60', then 50'. Our entire dive was not done at 90'. We also checked our air supply frequently, and made the proper safety stop.

I clearly understand that safety starts and ends with me, and that I gain insights and experience with outside education and actual dives. I see that you are very passionate about diving, however, if you were the only person I interacted with diving, I would be freaked out by the sport, and maybe not do it at all. We are not "resort divers" nor are cavalier about our diving. I can take constructive criticism from others, but only when they are truely informed about the details germane to my situation.

There's a way to welcome new, inexperienced people to this board, and then there's a way to scare them off so that they don't voice their questions and comments. Take it easy, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom