Diving in Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trista:
We are considering changing our hotel to Dreams Tulum. Does anyone know what diving is like there or in the area?

We've dove with Mayan Divers (Dreams shop) twice in the past year doing both reef and cenotes dives. The reef dives were good, not as good as Cozumel but we did see a ton of fish and turtles. We dove the cenotes several times when the seas were a little rough for the boat. We never had more than 5 divers in the reef dives, dove till someone hit 500psi and were not constrained by a time limit. The cenote dives were just me and my wife. Prices were the same as the other Ops around and they picked us up at our resort that was next door to Dreams. Pay in cash and you get a discount on thier pricing.

Maddcovv:
Lots of Cenote diving too, calm clear cool water !

Have to agree about the Cenote! Was there last week. Went to a cenote called Chac Mool. Pictures cannot do it justice!! Words cant discribe the beauty. It was the first time diving cenote and definately wont be out last! Don't miss out while you are there.

An added note: we stayed at Dreams in Cancun. Nice but don't think it rated 6 stars and more $$. I would rather spend my money on diving. Luckily it was a free upgrade since our hotel got damage during Dean.

I don't know if you are planning on cenotes in Tulum, but I recommend Min at http://www.h2oprodiving.com/team.htm. I believe that they also have a small resort there as well. You really have to do the cenotes though! Just plain awesome...

I'm with Rick. I must be more easily amused as well. I've dove Manchones off Isla Mujeres and could spend a easy hour on a section of reef just looking at all the smaller stuff. My tech instructor told me when wreck diving to just stop at one place and remain motionless. Critters have thousands of years experience with camoflage and sometimes takes patience and a keen eye to see them.

If you are the type that likes a fast ride past everything, then you'll probably be bored with shallow reef structures.

Nice pics, maddcovv!

Spratman:
I don't know if you are planning on cenotes in Tulum, but I recommend Min at http://www.h2oprodiving.com/team.htm. I believe that they also have a small resort there as well. You really have to do the cenotes though! Just plain awesome...

I'm with Rick. I must be more easily amused as well. I've dove Manchones off Isla Mujeres and could spend a easy hour on a section of reef just looking at all the smaller stuff. My tech instructor told me when wreck diving to just stop at one place and remain motionless. Critters have thousands of years experience with camoflage and sometimes takes patience and a keen eye to see them.

If you are the type that likes a fast ride past everything, then you'll probably be bored with shallow reef structures.

Nice pics, maddcovv!

i am with you. heck, i can spend an hour staring at some bass at dutch springs. I am not saying that you can't have enjoyable dives in Tulum. however, along the mayan riviera there are just quite a few places that have more ocean critters (and reef) in all sizes than Tulum.

My wife and I went to Tulum for the first time last year - had never been to the peninsula at all. We stayed at Dreams and had a really great time. I thought everything was great. I went snorkeling with Maya the 2nd day we were there. When I asked about if I should do the Cenote snorkle trip they had he talked me into Discover Scuba instead. It was my first time. I was instantly hooked! I thought it was wonderful but then again I've nothing to compare it to. I also thought the guys at Maya Diving made the whole vacation for us - they were full of helpful tips and were always willing to talk and I don't mean just about Scuba or trying to get into your wallet.

I'm doing my open water this weekend in preparation for a trip to Playa so I can get underwater down there again!

...however, along the mayan riviera there are just quite a few places that have more ocean critters (and reef) in all sizes than Tulum.

Like where?? We are thinking about the Mayan Riviera for a Jan trip, but we just aren't sure where to stay/dive.

Any suggestions? We like to go all inclusive. We've been to Coz 2x, but would like to stay mainland this time to be closer to the ruins & cenotes. Yes, the cenotes are a MUST, but do you have any other suggestions for worthwhile ocean diving nearby?

Uhhhh, I'm talking about the cenotes - World Class.

Oh, my goodness. After two years, finally Daniel and I agree on something . . .

... We like to go all inclusive...
It's been a few years, but Nancy DeRosa's place offers the full range of area diving (including full cave equipment/guides if you're cave certified) and a full range of room/meal packages.
Facilities were very nice - big, clean, comfortable.
Rick

Your impressions of diving in the Aventuras/Akumal/Tulum area will depend alot on the conditions you have and where you're taken. There isn't a strong, steady current like in Cozumel, so viz can really decrease and stay that way for several days if it's raining or excessively windy.

The shallow dives used to be some of the best Caribbean diving I've done... USED TO be... unfortunately, in the past few years the reefs in this area have started to deteriorate because of the increase in development and lack of marine protections. And the 2005 Hurricane season didn't help either.

With the right dive master and captain, you will still get some nice diving. Go deeper, 75ft+ and there are areas worth diving. Some of the shallower sites further out are aslo still in ok shape (not great, but ok). There isn't the abundance of marine life that there used to be, but there is still stuff to see. If you want to drop down and be instantly wowed by formations and aquarium-like diving, you'll be hard pressed to find it. If you like diving slow and poking around, taking in smaller areas, etc., then you can have some nice dives.

Back
Top Bottom