Diving in Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nefilim

Reaction score
Hi

I have the opportunity to go on a yoga retreat in Tulum for a week January, I'm wondering if there's any good shore or boat diving near Tulum. I'll be sure to visit the cenotes but I'd love to do boat/shore warm water diving for a change, only having 50+ cold local dives :D
Is it a waste compared to Cozumel? Coz seems a bit far from Tulum for day trips?

Alternatively I can skip that trip and plan my own trip to Cozumel, which will probably be cheaper too but of course don't get to enjoy the other activities.

Thanks for any tips
Peter

I know there's some diving around Akmul which is not too far from Tulum, but I don't know the name of any dive ops. There is actually diving all along the Mayan Coast just a matter of getting hooked up with someone.

Go to the Cozumel forum and click on the thread called "coconuts lives" scroll down to a post by James Goddard, he spent some time there last spring. If you PM him I'm sure he can help.

Also if you have or can get transportation to Playa del Carmen, you can take the ferry over to Cozumel. A day trip to Coz shouldn't be a big hassle, we have made several day trips to Tulum and even Coba from Cozumel, with plenty of time to spend at the archeological sites, and people make day trips to go cenote diving from Coz all the time, so going the other direction to go diving shouldn't be any different.

It is worth diving in Tulum and Akumal. Its different than Cozumel, but not a waste!
The water is warm, very clear, with many turtles, and other sealife.
I'm sure that there is a diveshop in the town of Tulum, but Akumal is close, and there are three diveshops there. Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Adventures, and Akumal Dive Center.
Diablo Divers posts on this board, and are well reviewed.

Aquatech is also in Akumal. Their url is www.cenotes.com

They can also set you up with cenote dives. Akumal is not too far from Tulum. Be sure to take a swim in the Temple of Doom while you are there.....it's just outside Tulum.

I'm heading to Akumal in December for my 5th year in a row. Always stay at Villa DeRosa and dive with Aquatech (on the premises).

Divedoggie:
It is worth diving in Tulum and Akumal. Its different than Cozumel, but not a waste!
The water is warm, very clear, with many turtles, and other sealife.
I'm sure that there is a diveshop in the town of Tulum, but Akumal is close, and there are three diveshops there. Akumal Dive Shop, Akumal Dive Adventures, and Akumal Dive Center.
Diablo Divers posts on this board, and are well reviewed.

Diver Lori:
Aquatech is also in Akumal. Their url is www.cenotes.com

They can also set you up with cenote dives. Akumal is not too far from Tulum. Be sure to take a swim in the Temple of Doom while you are there.....it's just outside Tulum.

I'm heading to Akumal in December for my 5th year in a row. Always stay at Villa DeRosa and dive with Aquatech (on the premises).

Oops...just wanted to add that Temple of Doom is now called Cenote Calaveras. It's a short trip down the Coba Road from the intersection of 307 in Tulum.

Good research! Check out www.locogringo.com , too.
Have a great time down there!!!!!
We are heading to Akumal (8th time.) and Coz(5th time) in early Jan. We love the overall feel of Akumal and Tulum. Great beaches, cool ruins(Tulum and Coba)

Nefilim:
Thanks to everyone who replied, I found a few operators in Tulum:

http://www.abyssdiveshop.com/index.html
http://www.aktundive.com/default.asp?L=EN
http://cenotedive.com/home.html

Obviously most of them are centered on cave/cavern/cenote diving but some also offer some reef diving :)

Thanks for all the good info on Tulum. I'll be there Dec 9-16 if things go right.
Bride will be soaking up sun, me soaking up saltwater...SB's there at the same time, pls let me know and we can hook up for a dive or two. I'll be shore diving, for sure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom