Diving in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitroxbabe

Reaction score
Hey Clive, before the other thread was so prematurely abbreviated, I was trying to ask you UK dudes about diving over there....

I have some friends in Edinburgh and hope to get over there this year and bring my gear. Any suggestions or points of interest? (yes, I am willing to travel, although I don't know if we'd make it over to Ireland...)

Are the water temps pretty uniformly low? Drysuit or heavy-duty wetsuit?

depends on time of the year, and how many dives you want to do in a day

in the summer you could get away with a thick wet suit/semi dry/steamer

belive it or not on a dive before summer last on the Kiarra my computer gave a water temp of 23 deg C (this is on the south coast)

you have scapa flow in scotland where the german fleet were scutled

nitroxbabe once bubbled...

I was trying to ask you UK dudes about diving over there....

I have some friends in Edinburgh and hope to get over there this year and bring my gear. Any suggestions or points of interest? (yes, I am willing to travel, although I don't know if we'd make it over to Ireland...)

Are the water temps pretty uniformly low? Drysuit or heavy-duty wetsuit?

Hey nitroxbabe...I don't want to get this thread back on to a divisive political note again, but could I just make it clear that Ireland is definitely NOT part of the UK.

Having said that, it's a pity you won't make it this far - the diving is absolutely fabulous off the west and south coasts of Ireland, and we'd make you very welcome. Might even spring for a pint of Guinness for you (after the dive, of course)! Slainte! :eek:ut:

i dived with a guy from southern ireland in 2001 in the red sea, big guy called ray who has a boat that does these echo tours around the coast, nice guy good diver

he had a mate with him, older guy bit of a comedian, but a nightmare diver, how he never got bent god only knows, he certainly had the luck of the irish.

do you know or hear f this ray guy?

Yeah, what is the diving like over there. Can't be much different than it is here in New England. Cold, mediocre vis. Do tell. You too Irishdiver, what is Ireland like to dive? My friends visit Ireland quite a bit but they only dive into Guiness. Friend visited Dingle recently and my present boyfriend has an old flame in Dublin.

clive francis once bubbled...
i dived with a guy from southern ireland in 2001 in the red sea, big guy called ray who has a boat that does these echo tours around the coast, nice guy good diver

he had a mate with him, older guy bit of a comedian, but a nightmare diver, how he never got bent god only knows, he certainly had the luck of the irish.

do you know or hear f this ray guy?

Hi Clive, keep those posts coming into Scuba Humour and f*** the begrudgers!

I'm afraid southern Ireland is a big place. I don't know the guy you're talking about...I take it he doesn't run a diving operation? There's quite a few dive centres opened up in the last couple of years, diving as a commercial venture is still really only in its infancy here. But we make the best of it! If you have any more details about Clive, PM me and I'll see if I can track him down.

shellbird once bubbled...
Yeah, what is the diving like over there. Can't be much different than it is here in New England. Cold, mediocre vis. Do tell. You too Irishdiver, what is Ireland like to dive? My friends visit Ireland quite a bit but they only dive into Guiness. Friend visited Dingle recently and my present boyfriend has an old flame in Dublin.

[Just in from the pub after celebrating my b'day...hic!]
Shell, my dear, if you haven't dived off the west coast of Ireland...where you been all your life!

Galway Bay, Aran Islands, Inis Boffin island are all fantastic dives sites. Cold, deep-ish (40m+), and full of currents; but the life is fantastic and the viz is excellent in the summer. Doesn't compare to, say, the Red Sea, but this is a very different type of diving...very challenging. Not too difficult, but it requires good compass work, particular mindset, and an ability to deal with whatever the waters can throw at you.

I don't know if your friend is a diver but if s/he was in Dingle and didn't dive...they really missed out. It's a beautiful location, good dive centre there, fantastic 30m+ diving just at the mouth of the harbour and on either side. Huge fish, crystal viz. Fungi, the dolphin, usually shows up to join in the dive as well. I've dived there on a number of occasions, though it's a five-hour drive from where I live. If the weather is right, it's magic! :)

BTW, it appears that your government is shipping munitions to the Gulf through our airports. Some outcry here about that (we're supposed to be neutral, whatever that means). The whole situation is a bit of a mess. Let's hope it all gets sorted out. Soon.

See, Dee - we're all able to have a civilized conversation about the most sensitive of subjects. No need to pull the thread and treat us like children, even if we act like them every so often!

Sorry IrishDiver I don't believe you were really down the pub - if you were you're not drunk enough if you can type all that, get back down there!!

Happy Birthday by the way!!

Jonathan

Irishdiver once bubbled...

Hey nitroxbabe...I don't want to get this thread back on to a divisive political note again, but could I just make it clear that Ireland is definitely NOT part of the UK.

Having said that, it's a pity you won't make it this far - the diving is absolutely fabulous off the west and south coasts of Ireland, and we'd make you very welcome. Might even spring for a pint of Guinness for you (after the dive, of course)! Slainte! :eek:ut:

Didn't mean to imply that Ireland was part of the UK! From my perspective, Ireland is right next door to the UK, and I knew we had posters in this thread from both.

Hmmm - the pint does sounds tempting though - so tell me about the diving in Ireland!!! Guess it probably wouldn't be that bad of a ride over.... hmmm... another stamp on the passport, another entry in the dive log, a pint of guiness....

Jonathan once bubbled...
Sorry IrishDiver I don't believe you were really down the pub - if you were you're not drunk enough if you can type all that, get back down there!!

Happy Birthday by the way!!

Jonathan

Actually, you're right. I was stuck in work until after closing...tough life, huh? ;-0
But I did manage a glass or two of Masi Amarone when I got home, just to make up for it! A birthday treat from my treasure of a girlfriend, who is also a diver! :D

What are the chances of getting a wine forum for all us alcoholics-in-training on this board, or do the TOS stipulate that the place has to be 'dry'?
Thanks for the HBD wishes!

Back
Top Bottom