Diving in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id agree south coast is nice. Can always do the standard Scylla/Eagan Layne or go further across to Weymouth and do the M2 etc.

Edit:- just read newly qualified OW. Forget M2 :)

Best vis i think ive ever seen south coast is about 6m/20ft with an average of around 4m (12ft). That is more than enough to enjoy good diving.

--

Some people have finally received their new commandos but only very recently so doubt many people have them. AP Valves i dont think are in the USA at all so despite commando probably being the most most BC in the country here, its unlikely you'll find one at all in the USA.

They're good jackets but do have a bit of a cult following especially among BSAC clubs.

You'll probably need to wait a few weeks until people have done some dives with them to get opinions.

I've just finished testing a new Buddy Explorer, which has a lot of the new features that also appear on the Commando.

I was never a big fan of the old Buddy jackets. Yes, they are bulletproof and the guys at AP Valves give top-quality service, but I always found the BCDs to be a bit on the bulky side and heavy for travelling with.

However, this new range is far, far better. The jackets are more shaped now, and have a nifty feature where you can really tailor the BC to fit your own personal shape. Makes for a real comfy fit, and the backplate is cushioned like a duvet!

Also, they have integrated weights, but if you don't want to use integrated weights, you can use the spaces where the pouches go for storing a couple of DSMBs. You even get a couple of toggles with the integrated weight clip and a plastic karabiner to fasten on to the DSMB, so getting them out is the same as dumping the weight pockets.

They have also gone on to normal pinch clips now, instead of the one-button Buddy jobs (although these can be fitted at purchase if the owner wants them), and even the AP200 power inflator has been redesigned in a more-sleek form.

Still as durable as they ever were, but now more designed so they can compete with some of the better jackets of the rival manufacturers.

Mark

Hmm. the "press" clips were the best thing on the old jackets. Cold numb hands i could rarely unclip my own straps with pinch clips. The press you could just hammer with a numb fist to undo.

I see they've replaced the Travelwing with Tekwing Lite (sic) too. No idea what thats like.

AP Valves service though is legendary. Everyone i know thats used them, myself included has always been extremely happy with them.

Temperatures are as stated above, up to 21 degrees on the surface during the summer. It usually is a constant 16 degrees suring the summer away from the coast. The winter temperatures get down to 6 degrees in early March. The temperature is constant at all depths down to about 70/80m at all times of year.

In Cornwall the visibility is much better the further west you go if you are on the south coast. The Scylla always has horrendous vis. If I had 3m on the south coast I would say it was rubbish, if there was 6m vis on the north I would say the same. 5-10 is acceptable on the south or north, but up to 30 can be had on the north coast.

I've had the best vis ive ever encountered in UK coastal waters on the Scylla.

Was easily 10m one april. Incredible, water also blue not green.

Maybe ive just been unlucky but the other 30 or so dives ive got off cornwall/devon have all been 3-5m. Same as i get in the irish sea.

Thanks for the replies on the Commando! It fits with what I have read and heard about them before - haven't seen a bad review of the new one yet! Time is no problem for me either - I can't afford one right now so I have some time saving up. When I went to try one out I heard the waiting list was 5 weeks for one, so I emailed them and apparently two of their big machines broke down making the autoair parts, so they haven't been able to supply them on schedule. However they did say they would be back on target by New Year (this was 3 weeks ago) so hopefully they are more available now.

In response to the other replies, the south coast sounds great for winter! I figured it would be cold and all stirred up by the tropical weather we are having atm but evidently not :D

Winter expect water around 6-7c and visibility of 3-5m unless we have a period of calm wind free weather for a week or so before you go.

Also dont forget to check tides - vis will be worse on a big spring.

Back
Top Bottom