Diving in the Tampa Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paddler_46

Reaction score
Happy New Year,

Margo and I suffered a major mid-life crisis this holiday season....with the end result being.....we're packing out of the Greater DC Metroplex and heading to the Tampa/St. Pete area. Love these spur of the moment major life decisions!

We are looking forward to the short drive to the Keys and hopefully cheap airfare to the Bahamas. But until we can find jobs ;-0 to support our hobby, we will be diving in the local area. So how is the Tampa area for diving? Any links you can pass along will be much appreciated. Any board members live in the area, that would be willing to take a pair of middle aged newbee divers under their wings?

Steve and Margo,
I noticed you haven't had a reply to your post.
The Florida divers have their own newsletter via email. (not to say they don't read this board too) I would say 80% of the divers that read it are from all parts of Florida. The rest of us are just voyers and wishful "Florida divers".
Anyway, check them out. I know they can help you.
Edivers.org
Dive the Planet.

Thanks for the link to edivers.org. Sorry for being so slow to reply, but we've been busy packing up to move down...only 8 more working days till Florida unemployment ! Hope to get in about two weeks of diving before we get serious about finding jobs.

Hey there,

I am also a transplant from the washington area. I lived most of my life between Baltimore and D.C. I have been here is Fl for about 16 years now and have loved every minute of it. I now live in Sarasota which is just about 45 miles south of Tampa. I dont dive the Tampa/St.Pete area but have dived just about everywhere else in the state.

Most of my diving is done here in Sarasota, I divemaster for a local charter. If I can be of some help drop me a line.
There is just about any type of diving a person could want here. We have caverns, caves, coral reefs, limestone ledges, coral walls, prehistoric shark tooth collecting (some as big as 4 inchs), some of the biggest Jew fish you will see. Last week we ran across 4 that went 400 pounds at least, and a very extensive artifical reef system. Hope to see you down under.

DSDO

We will certainly be in touch with you once we get settled into our new digs. How chilly is the gulf this time of year?

Im sorry to say this year has been exceptionaly cold.
We just had a cold streak that hasnt been seen since the 1800s. This has brought the water temp way down. Last weekend it was 54 off the beach. But at 12 miles out it was 63. This week it has started to warm back up and if it continues the water temp will slowly rise also. 63 doesnt sound to cold but when you are used to diving in mid 80 deg water its like ice diving to me. Last year the coldest it got was 66 off shore. Lets hope the temp climbs fast. If not I am going to be a pop sickle.

Hmmmm, well I guess that's the beauty of West Florida diving....if the Gulf be to chilly, it's time to re-visit the springs. By any chance have you done any prehistoric shark tooth diving down in Venice, Fla? Noticed that was a hot topic on the Edivers.org board this week (Thanks again Natasha :D ) sounds like that would be fun, mucking about.
Two weeks to moving day!

Steve, and Margo,
You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could help. I met a whole bunch of E divers when I was down there in April. A great group of divers!
Have fun in your new life.

Steve and Margo, Venice is about 10 minutes from here. We do shark tooth charters there when the conditions permit.The area is just off shore about a mile in 28 to 30 feet of water. We have had divers bring up teeth up to 4 inchs long. The area is full of all kinds of bones along with the shark teeth. It was at one time a river bed. For the past 2 months not much has been found though. We have had some rough weather and most of the area has been covered with a layer of silt. But by spring time it should settle below the shell bed and shark tooth hunting will be on again. It is kinda fun to do, especially when you are finding teeth. But it is pretty boreing when you cant see them as the area is barren of anything else.
DSDO Herb

Kimber,

That makes for a great Christmas present for all of us!

Hang tough, gal !!!

Continued thoughts, support, love and prayers . . .

the K

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom