Diving in the Marseilles region?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Bill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hoepfully going on a training course in Marseilles next March and I'm wondering what the region is like for getting a couple of days of diving in. Any good shops/ centres that'd welcome a walk-in PADI diver?

You will find PADI is not all that well known in France and they use the CMAS system. However, just a bit west of the city is the "Blue Coast" and you will find the centre below at Carry le Rouet very PADI friendly and they accept walk ins. They also have a good range of rental kit, accomodation and do nitrox at the same price as air.
http://www.aqua-evasion.com/

Make sure you have a medical certificate less than a year old - you need it for France.

Chris

While living in France one of my more memorable wreck dives was off the coast of Toulon on the Denator. It is deep, around 40-50m. Some info can be found here:

http://www.scubatravel.co.uk/france/francedive.html

Toulon is east of Marseilles by about an hour?? I can not remember exactly as was living to the east near Nice at the time.

Also I believe PADI and CMAS just signed an agreement of some sort to recgnize each other.

As for the medical, yup, and that you will need to buy a license as well. It is good for a year and also provides some insurance in case of a ride to a chamber. Double check on all this as it has been 10 since I dove there. Amusé vous.

padi & cmas have an agreement on various levels, the entry level is just paperwork, for the rest it's like additional training... therefore not really interesting for you.

Just find a PADI dive center (www.padi.com) in the region and give it a shoot. I would say that the one in carry is pretty well known (haven't tried it). For the wrecks, there are loads down there, but don't be surprised if they ask you do to a check dive, at 6m for mask clearing etc... that's somewhat a procedure down there.

don't forget the medical as some stated... it's compulsory by law, therefore if you don't have it... you don't dive.

For the rest, don't be surprised either to see autonomous divers go down to 210 Ft on Air... that's quite a change from the PADI way of diving... :) Loads of the wrecks are deep down there, but some of the sites are wonderful, i hope you'll get some nice dives and give us a good feedback on the area.
The licence is certainly not compulsory... don't let them buy you into that... it's just if you go in the "club" like an association that you have to do so. If you provide your DAN or other V&B insurance which is valid, you can dive without the club fee, there is no legal obligation to do so... just get into the real commercial dive center and not the "club" which normally by law should be restricted to "club participants" and not "people who come and go".

Enjoy your stay :)

Scared Silly:
It is deep, around 40-50m. ....
Also I believe PADI and CMAS just signed an agreement of some sort to recgnize each other.

The French accept PADI, but as a PADI diver you are CMAS 2 star at best. You are therefore limited to 40m and not able to dive the Donator. PADI also limits its divers to 40m.

Chris

Sorry to feel like Ranting... but i'll go for the PADI thing again :).

Padi DOES NOT regulate Depth OUT OF TRAINING. it only regulates the training depth during classes. The rest is done by law. Therefore if someone wishes to go down to 50m to see the donator after his OWD training... no one will refuse it. It is common sense not to do so... but it is not Illegal as you state it :).

I was able to dive the donator and am only a padi instructor, so he will perfectly be able to dive it. He will probably not be able to dive it in "autonomy" but guided and after 1 check dive at least this is absolutely possible. If i'm wrong please give me the law :) (arrêté 1998 relatif aux activités subaquatiques).

Moreover if he doesn't pass through a club, nothing is regulated in the diving activity... therefore he does "what he wants" basically, this is where there is a huge difference between the french system and the other systems around the world :)

Again, thanks for more info. I'm hopefully going to be doing some IANTD training before I go and will be in France for three seperate training sessions so I'll see how it all goes.

Funny really, I was organising the training (with Gemalto, formerly Gemplus) and explaining to my manager why I needed it (need to be able to control USIM cards etc). He just said "Good diving round there then?".

Back
Top Bottom