Diving in Tampa in a couple of weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vmsgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be diving with my soon during Thanksgiving week, got booked with Tanks-a-Lot.

Should I expect to freeze my butt off?

Right now the water temp as reported by the Clearwater station is 68F, think it will get much colder than that?

It is def cold, my buddies in 3 mil suits are calling dives early, I'm fine in my 5 mil however.

Careful w tanks a lot, not saying change your reservation but they don't exactly have a sterling reputation. They get a thumbs down from us whenever we pass them in the inlet.

Yea its me :lotsalove:

I checked water temp yesterday off Venice and it read 70F top to bottom. If you intend to stay in the water any length of time you will need to be wearing either a 5 or 7mm with a hooded vest under your suit. I am wearing a 7mm with a vest now, and have my 8/7 semi-dry ready for this weekend as we are in for several cold days/nights and the water temp is bound to drop. Remember your body will try to compensate for the cold, and your air consuption will increase. Wear proper exposure protection and enjoy your dives and stay in the water longer.

This past Sunday, surface temp at Clearwater Pass read 69 F on my boat; however, at the Sheridan Site (25 miles out in the Gulf) the water temp read warmer at 73 F. I wore a 5mm and had no conscious thought about water temp during my dive.

Last edited:
It is def cold, my buddies in 3 mil suits are calling dives early, I'm fine in my 5 mil however.

Careful w tanks a lot, not saying change your reservation but they don't exactly have a sterling reputation. They get a thumbs down from us whenever we pass them in the inlet.

Yea its me :lotsalove:

What kind of problems does tanks a lot have? I thought it was well reviewed?

What kind of problems does tanks a lot have? I thought it was well reviewed?

I don't want to bash a local business more than is called for, i used to recommend them but now i've seen they do things differently than i do.

Don't stop using them because of anything you read on the internet, maybe im the dick and they are fine.

Well, as it turns out, the trip for tomorrow has been canceled by the operator, the conditions are apparently quite poor at the moment.

Maybe next time...

Marine Forecast - Tampa Bay, Gulf of Mexico - Bay News 9

:idk:

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

I had 2 friends out around 45 feet today spearfishing, they said it was overcast in the morning, but other than that absolutly perfect. I saw 50 feet of vis at the ladder 2 weekends ago... You should try to get out if you can my friend, this is the best time of year for diving this area imo.

Marine Forecast - Tampa Bay, Gulf of Mexico - Bay News 9

:idk:

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 04:41 PM ----------

I had 2 friends out around 45 feet today spearfishing, they said it was overcast in the morning, but other than that absolutly perfect. I saw 50 feet of vis at the ladder 2 weekends ago... You should try to get out if you can my friend, this is the best time of year for diving this area imo.

Well, the operator cancelled, so I didn't have a way of getting out, unfortunately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom