Diving in Southern Belize (in June 04)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janaki

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
Has anyone stayed at Hamanasi Resort in Dangriga, Belize? How is the diving from there and how is their equipment? We are thinking of renting rather than haul it around for the week before we go to the resort.
Looking forward to some beautiful diving!
thanks, Janaki

I spent two months diving in Belize and Honduras in Jan-Mar of this year. Although I was in Dangriga each week, I did no diving out of the town. It is a very interesting community composed largely of Garifuna people (mixed African-Red Caribe origin).

I did dive the waters near Dangriga and enjoyed the conditions I encountered there. There are many Cayes in the region accessible from Hamanasi that can provide a good experience. During June I think you will experience calmer waters than we did. The further south we went (from Dangriga), the more we encountered rough water (during those months) due to the elimination of the barrier reef as a factor.

Dr. Bill

PS- Sorry to read your gender is "undisclosed." My doctors were able to determine mine at birth. I guess the medical practice just ain't what it used to be!

Janaki:
Hi
Has anyone stayed at Hamanasi Resort in Dangriga, Belize? How is the diving from there and how is their equipment? We are thinking of renting rather than haul it around for the week before we go to the resort.
Looking forward to some beautiful diving!
thanks, Janaki
Actually, Hamanasi is not in the town of Dangriga. It's in a small fishing/tourist village off the Southern Hwy called Hopkins about 8 miles south of Dangriga. In my opinion the best diving is out over the barrier reef which is about 30-45 minutes by boat. There are numerous cuts in the reef. The diving inside the reef is good but visibility is usually not as good as outside. Little to no current as there is only about one foot tides here. The reef ends about 40 miles south of there. If you're in Placencia look for the boat "Yapak 2" (named after the unreal site on Boracay, Philippines) and give me a shout. Hank

thanks for your info about Hopkins/Dangriga, Belize. We only have "3" adventures from Hamanasi, but will make the most of them! Hoping to see whale sharks, but they only get up the "river" during the full moon...hmmmm....
How about Rays, though?

Glad to hear the rough waters probably won't be as bad in June, though we might get a hurricaine or two. ; (

The onshore and offshore options all sound wonderful!

I'll wave if we get down toward Palencia, Hank.
Janaki
p.s. I updated my "gender profile", Dr. Bill (just a newby on this scuba board)....and I work in the allied health field, too. But medicine has changed things dramatically, it is true! LOL

We stayed at Hamanasi the first week of this month (1-9 May). The diving is great at every location we dove. We saw whale sharks but it was over the full moon phase at Gladden Spit. I doubt very seriously that you will see them when you go but you never know! The "adventures" are to the southern barrier reefs which are very nice dives. The coral is beautiful and we also saw green morays, various sea turtles (huge loggerhead), and eagle rays. You can pay extra to go to Turneffe or Glovers reefs which offer much of the same but have a bit more schools of fish. Those are 3 tank dives where the included adventures are 2 tanks. I don't think it's posted on the web site but you can upgrade your 2 tank adventure into a 3 tank dive for an extra $25. If you like diving walls you have very good ones there. The dive staff is First Class in every way and very friendly.

Rooms are quite clean, comfortable and spacious. If you have a problem just speak up and the staff will correct the issue. The resort also has bottled water in your room, on the boats, and at the bar included in the price. The cook is wonderful and I wanted to bring her home (actually we didn't want to leave).

I must warn you though, take LOTS of Deep Woods bug spray with a high percentage of deet. Don't bring any sissy skintastic, the bugs eat it like a snack. You will be in the tropics so bugs are plentiful. If you get days with no wind, the "no see-ums" are killer.

Enjoy your trip and tell Dana that Karen and Randy say HI and can't wait to come again...

thankyou so much, Capt Randy! That really reassures us. How was snorkeling right at the resort area? We will get to stay a week in that Hopkins area, so it'll be great! (even if it rains, there's lots to do it sounds like).
I'll say hi to Dana for ya and post my trip report!
Janaki
I'll be sure to bring the 50 % deet at least!

Randy,

Thanks for the bug warning. We have some skintastic, but I will make sure to bring the good stuff.

Was there a dive location you thought was outstanding, or a can't miss?

We didn't do any snorkeling at the pier so I can't help you there.

As far as a dive not to miss, Hmmmmm...

Each dive had it's great parts and you can't go wrong with any of them.

Jacket Fan, do you frequent a local dive shop in the Atlanta area? I'm in Marietta.

do you frequent a local dive shop in the Atlanta area? I'm in Marietta.

I go to Sea Ventures over in the Alpharetta/Roswell area at 400 and Holcomb Bridge.

They have a 12 foot pool and a friendly staff. The owner is second generation dive shop owner. His dad had a store in Sandy Springs.

Back
Top Bottom