Diving in South America on a budget??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bradhoran

Registered
Reaction score
Hi I have recently completed my advanced dive cert and I am off to travel around South America for 5 months.

Can anyone inform me of some lovely dive sites that don't cost an arm and a leg. Due to the length of my stay my baudget is limited to around US$60 a day including equipment and I expectat that I can only afford a max of 6 days.

I appreciated your feedback

Cheers
Brad

investigate Lake Titicaca, on the Peruvian Bolivian border for some high diving, (about 12,000 feet high). I,ve snorkeled
it twice without a suit, it was cold and clear.

I have a Guatemalan dive buddy who owns a cottage on Lake Titicaca. He tells me that there is no scuba infrastructure there, and in fact no dive op in all of Bolivia, although you apparently can get local boats to take you out onto the lake.

If true, this means Brad would need bring all gear, including tanks, weights & compressor, and probably a dry suit because of the extreme cold water. It would also be extreme altitude diving. Of course, there is no recompression facility, or any dive medicine expert, for many, many hundreds of miles.

Am I perhaps missing something here?

DocVikingo

I am not that experienced, have never dived at altitude and will be alone so I think I will have to skip the lake if there is no dive infrastructure.

But thanks for the replys anyway.

Cheers
Brad

Back
Top Bottom