Diving in South America-advice?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarianAnn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone,

Have just spent a few mind-boggling evenings on the net researching diving in South America. We are doing a six week trip from rio de janeiro to lima, peru and want to fit in a week of diving. The plan was to do the diving in belize, the bay of islands or even north brazil in the national park (Fernando de Noronho) however this is pushing the price of flights up by €1,400 at least. Dublin-rio, lima-dublin working out around €1200, add in belize or recife(north brazil) and add on €1,400 and that's just the flights. So then decided to make the best of diving around rio but it really doesn't sound that great. We're heading in July/August. Any advice in general on diving in south america? Or is there anywhere up around central america (where diving appears to be far better) that we can dive without breaking the bank!??

I don't know if you would be willing to stop by Venezuela but Los Roques is amazing.There are a few posadas (Small Hotels) that you can stay in.The main island is called Gran Roque this is where everything is. I was told that there is 300 islands total.There is lots to do in the way of exploring ( if you go you have to see the place they call the pool ) hope this helps
Matt

I would check into some of the diving in Colombia. I am not sure on the expense getting to some of these places is going to be for you but the cost of diving in general is some of the cheapest in South/Central America. By far the est diving is San Andres and Old Providence, I would also look into Santa Marta, Rosario just west of Cartagana, and some of the more remote places are Taganga, Gorgona(pricey), and Old Providence.
Hope this helps and doesn't add to the mind-boggling

in central america the cheapest and best imho diving is around the island of utila in the honduran bay islands. look into it

Being in Lima, the best (and probable one of the cheapest) option would be Galápagos. Galapagos represents a world class diving experience and is quite different than any of the other possible destinations mentioned. Besides, it only takes two short flights to get from from Lima to Baltra, the capital of Galapagos islands. First fly Lima-Guayaquil and then Guayaquil-Baltra. Of course, if you are on a tight budget, you won´t make to Darwin & Wolf but still there are plenty of sharks, rays, penguins and sea lions in the southern islands to provide memorable dives.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the advice. Going to follow up a couple of options and see what turns up. Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom