Diving in Scotland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rokilio

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone -
I will be spending the next 6 months along the Scottish Borders (Kelso area). Where are the best dive sites in Scotland? Any recommendation on operators? I also do not have my own gear, so I would be looking for an operator that can rent everything. The only diving I have exposure to is Cozumel....I know it won't be as warm and clear - but am looking for a new experience.

Thanks for any advice!

Lucky you.

Scotland is great - the west coast, sound of Mull area is excellent. (I am sure some Scottish people will advise you of other areas). The diving from Oban is the best I have ever experienced. Mostly wrecks and in the 20-40M range. Water temp is cool rather than cold - a drysuit is pretty much needed for most of the year.

I dive with Puffin www.puffin.org.uk and they have full kit for rent and take individual bookings. While in Oban eat at the seafood resturant overlooking the ferry terminal - superb.

If you feel the need to do a drysuit course Puffin will oblige.

There are other operators in the area and many are just as good so if other suggestions come from elsewhere try them too. I can recommend Puffin from several visits though. (They are admittedly not the cheapest).

We will be there again in August as we have a wedding to go to in London. (Work out the drive from London to Oban and back {on top of from/to Italy} and see how much we want to dive there!

Chris.

Excellent information in your report. I have e-mailed Puffin and will also contact some local clubs. This provides me with a perfect starting point. Chances are, I will only have one opportunity to dive while there ~ so I am willing to pay a little extra for a reputable operation. If you are willing to drive that far, it must be worth it!

Thanks again.
Courtney

I'm sure Nicola and her Dad at Puffin will do you proud. The diving is good and Oban well worth a visit (try the local whisky!!). If you are unhappy with the recommendation I will stand you a pint or two of 'heavy'....

PS we are there second week Aug - pls say hello if you are there too!

Chris

I have a question about temperature / suit (not for immediate use, but I would love to go diving there). What is the sea temperature in summer? is it possible to use a thick wet suit (7mm mono + 5mm shorty) this time of the year? (I use it for 10-12C, never tried below)

Bretagne, you can get away with a semi-dry or thick wetsuit if you are willing to be a little cold. The main problem would be cutting down on bottom time if you get too cold underwater. Also (if diving with Puffin) you will get cold on the RIB ride out and back - but a good wind-proof jacket would solve that. It wouldn't stop me.
BTW do you dive in the Manche with a wetsuit?? Brava..

Chris

Yes, but April to August only :wink:. You know what is nice there? No thermocline, it is always cool :wink:.

Rokilio - hi. Oban is good but it is a long way from the Borders (maybe 4 hours drive) so you would have to plan your trip carefully. If you do go to Oban, I can confirm that Puffin are good. Much nearer to the Borders is St Abbs, which is excellent diving, too, and you could easily do this as a day trip. Eyemouth is also nearby and has some ok shore diving.

I was diving in Oban last week and the temp was 53 degrees F/11 centigrade. I wear a dry suit. Haven't seen anyone in a wetsuit. But if you want to go in drysuit, you need to have training. Given you have only dived in Cozumel, you need to be very careful about what you are doing and make sure you hook up with a good operation. I have dived in Mexico and the conditions in Scotland are much more challenging because of the temperature and the vis and the drysuit.

If you are in Kelso, you are also near the north of England and here is some good diving there round about the Farne islands. For more detailed info, read the boards at Yorkshire DIver at www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk

Someone else mentioned Scapa Flow in Orkney. I agree but I don't think it is for a newbie in Scottish waters. Also, it is a long long way from where you will be.

Diving here is very different to Coz and you really need to have a number of dives to appreciate it. If you are around for 6 months, you could do a drysuit course and then hook up with a good operator to do some supervised dives in appropriate surroundings. When I first started diving here it felt like I was back to square one after a year and a half of warm water dives. I am still happier in warm clear tropical waters but growing to love it here, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom