Diving in Scotland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Verona. All good advice from everyone. I will be working during my 6 month stint, so will only have weekends to (hopefully) get some diving in. Distance will be a factor, as will extra time for the dry suit course. I have only used shorties...this cold water and less vis stuff will be quite a difference, but I would hate to be over there for such a long period of time and never take the opportunity to experience a different dive site. I heard back from Puffin on their dry suit course and will contact some other ops nearby. It might be best to take the dry suit course closer to Kelso and then dive with Puffin at a later date when I can work an overnight trip into my schedule.

Courtney

Bretagne:
I have a question about temperature / suit (not for immediate use, but I would love to go diving there). What is the sea temperature in summer? is it possible to use a thick wet suit (7mm mono + 5mm shorty) this time of the year? (I use it for 10-12C, never tried below)

I dive all year in a semi up here, I only really feel the cold when it's windy and then you can always find a bit of shelter for your surface interval fag and coffee! :07:

oh and if you want to avoid the more packed sites up oban way try loch long / loch fyne, there's so many dive sites in that area that we always find somewhere to dive with the site to ourselves!

Loch Long, Loch Fyne and round there is great diving. I much prefer the west coast of the scotland to the east coast.

Wrap up though it can get very cold!!

If you suffer from the cold and a semi-dry doesn't do the job, you can always take a drykilt class.

Phil (Boyd clan descendant)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom