Diving in Riviera Maya/Tulum/Playa del Carmen area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AcornMan

Registered
Reaction score
We're thinking of a trip to the Riviera Maya area. It will be primarily a beach/chill vacation, but I can't pass up the opportunity to get some diving in if it's worth it. So that's the question. I've done Cozumel before, which of course was outstanding. I don't expect the diving on the Yucatan side to be as good, but can someone tell me how it compares? Is it worth it at all?

Ditto Protec Tulum. Casa Cenote is nice. Also, across the street from case Cenote are some boats for ocean diving - a 5 minute ride at most. Not as good as Cozumel but somewhat reminds me of the shallower reefs in south Florida - not as many fish though.

My wife and I have been there twice and really love the cenote dives--Angelita Cenote and Case Cenote are our favorites. The ocean dives were...fine. Fun, but not as enjoyable as the cavern dives or Cozumel.

Akumal - Half moon bay is quiet and has a very nice beach. Not really any hotels but condo rentals with a resteraunts/bars nearby. Golf cart rental might be smart. Diving is not a good as Cozumel but turtle mating season is good (approx June and hot). There was a seaweed bloom but also affected the Cozumel too. I haven't heard of it happening since - conditions at the time? Vis was down but that could be the time of year, a front that moved in and the bloom. Mostly parallel ridge formations but coral seemed healthy as of a year and a half ago. Less fish in general but did have a few big schools. I did a trip report for it on SB but unfortuantely the photos are all X's now (photos are still on SB in my gallery albums at Akumal Mexico.) I saw mostly beach entries to the boat if it matters to you.

I can only comment on ocean dives just outside the marina at Puerto Adventuras. Compared to Cozumel, they are just so-so. Still, it is warm water,with generally decent vis. I've heard lots of good things about sites farther south, off shore from Akumal.

However, the real jewels of the Yucatán are the Cenotes. There are several cavern areas that are reasonable for guided tours if you have decent trim and buoyancy control. I can also highly recommend taking a Cavern course. It will make you a much better diver for everything you choose to do after that.

Here's a thread, among many, where Puerto Aventuras was discussed. There are several all-inclusive resorts, as well as dozens of condos. Nice selection of places to eat, close to features such as Xcaret theme park. As indicated in the thread, we prefer Dive Aventuras, and they can provide excellent service both for ocean dives and cenotes.

I had several good dives with Dive in Puerto Morelos when I was down to attend a wedding in Playa del Carmen. A modestly deep wreck dive had squadrons of Eagle Rays and many other usual reef fish. The reef dives were fine. The town is still on the quaint side, reasonably quiet, plenty of good restaurants. I think commercial fishing has had effects.

Second scubadada on Puerto Morelos.

Have done some dives in 3 different locations off the coast. One in PDC, one just north of PDC in area called Playa Paraiso, and in Puerto Morelos. PDC area wasn't great for me as nothing stood out as special. Reefs not so great.

Puerto Morelos on the other hand was really nice (in spring of 2010.) Off of there coast is a protected National Marine Park. Also dove with Dive in Puerto Morelos and on one dive saw a group of 6 eagle rays around the C56 Knave wreck. Got some nice pics.

As ColoDale wrote, Akumal beach is a nice beach and a good place to snorkel to see the big turtles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom