Diving in Queens, Beach 8th street...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got enriched air but can't use it till I'm certified LDS holding the EA cert. Should resolve that problem at B8th street on Nov 1. Wish I had a Dry suit LOL

Dry suit is worth it... beach 8th street is shallow and you can only do one long dive due to the tide, so no need for Nitrox!

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was having computer troubles over the last week or so.

I'm not sure if I'd call them common, but the last 2 or 3 years they have been hanging around the beach. There were 3 of them last year, they seemed to stick around pretty much the whole season, hanging around the same spots. This year I actually don't remember seeing one.

I do know that some divers have decided they need to "rescue" the fish that come to the beach, and armed with burp guns they take them. Personally I'm not a big fan. Yes, they'll probably die in the cold weather, but until that time, why not let them be for all to see?

My favorite was the diver who loaded his pneumatic spear gun on land, walked into the water, shot a big trigger fish, came up and said "can I eat this"?

I was in the water last weekend, and I read 55F at the bottom. Chilly, but manageable.

Nitrox won't help too much at the beach, but because it is such an easy dive, it's a great place to try out all your new gear, learn a tech setup, etc.

-Dustin

My favorite was the diver who loaded his pneumatic spear gun on land, walked into the water, shot a big trigger fish, came up and said "can I eat this"?

-Dustin

Beach and 8th st. is replete with all manner of strange people and divers. In short, it is the armpit of Queens NY diving, but at the same time an oddly fascinating ritual for divers living in the NYC area. It's not a surprise that a some doof would unnecessarily spear a triggerfish, or a drunk observor throw a Thunderbird "bum wine" bottle nat a diver underwater. At one point there was a mental hospital in the vicinity which allowed patients to wander about. Some of patients would harass the divers. One 'patient' would don on full gear and wade waist deep and call it a day.

As per trying out gear...there is a fair amount of fine silt that is generated in between the tides. Make sure you have a good garden hose. If anything, I bet someone could write a humorous novella (not like Steinbeck's Cannery Row) about the denizens that inhabit Weird and 8th st.

X

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom