Diving in Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am working to develop my business plan so all feedback is appreciated!!!!!

I've been thinking about this over time, and the thread has come back up, so a few thoughts.

1.) A turn-key solution like Buddy Dive on Bonaire, or perhaps one of the AI resorts in Cozumel, where all you have to do is book your flight to & from the island and they take your to & from the airport, offer accommodations, perhaps even on-site rental truck, etc..., is ideal for many, but probably not practical to do for most.

2.) Therefore I'd look at websites for smaller but very popular charter op.s outside your local market to see what they offer and how. Rainbow Reef Dive Center out of Key Largo and Jupiter Dive Center out of Florida come to mind. A polished website and markets the diving, competence and safety-mindedness/equipment of the crew, comfortable dive boat (ideally with a few amenities, such as water and surface interval snacks, and overhead shade), and conveys a strong message of friendliness and fun. Link to a range of local accommodations, which a description of each and how far it is from your dive op., so people know where to stay that's near you.

3.) Include a list of area non-diving attractions for the non-divers, since a lot of divers travel with one or more (e.g.: spouse, little kids). Will your location be conveniently close to El Yunque rainforest tours? I'd take a look at a cruise ship's excursion list for Puerto Rico and see what's entertaining the tourists. You can market some of these on your website. This broadens your appeal to 'scuba dabblers' (who want to do a few dives, but also a range of other things) and 'scuba hostages' (who have to placate non-divers, or at least send them off somewhere). If your location is near a beautiful sandy public beach, that's a plus for some people. I've seen Belize advocated for the 'scuba + other stuff' market (e.g.: Mayan ruins, zoo, rainforest, etc...). Maybe some of what's driving people to Belize could drive them to Puerto Rico?

4.) You might even go so far as to list some nearby chain stores where people can get the essentials. Just knowing a Walmart is nearby comforts me that if I forget to pack underwear (that has happened twice!) or some such, not a problem. Making a strange place feel more familiar and closer to home might bring in some 'on the fence' potential customers.

5.) I don't know what health care in Puerto Rico is like, but being a U.S. holding, if it is good, I'd find a way to mention is on my website. That way people with 'risky' family in tow (e.g.: elderly, very young children) might pick you. I went to Key Largo last September not just to check out the Keys but because we had a baby and wanting U.S. health care available in case of trouble. I've seen a forum thread where someone was suggested to put off Roatan for a similar reason.

6.) Emphasize short flights from the U.S. If round trip airfare from the east coast & the south tends to be cheap, good deal.

7.) Consider your target audience (mainly east coast & southern U.S., I'm thinking) and your competition. For your area, I'm guessing St. Thomas and St. Croix, but also the Florida Keys. With the size of Puerto Rico, maybe you could offer some things they can't (but can you match the beaches of St. Thomas?), but what would drive me to fly down to Puerto Rico and dive the areas you favor vs. just diving the Florida Keys again?

8.) I think your target audience will include that niche of well-traveled scuba divers who've been a number of places (e.g.: Cozumel, Bonaire, maybe Roatan &/or Belize) and are looking to explore some new ground. What is distinctive about Puerto Rican diving? Cozumel has great viz., varied topography and drift diving, and low prices. Bonaire has shore diving with a west-coast hugging road and lots of sites. The Florida Keys offer a lot of shallow reef, some of it quite fishy, while staying U.S.

9.) Will you offer rental gear?

If I were your potential customer, I'd want to know what diving your part of Puerto Rico was like, whether I could do 3 or 4 dives/day or just be stuck with 2, how likely you were to be booked up & whether I could count on the boat to go out (if I pay for an exotic vacation diving with you, and you cancel 2 or 3 days, that's bad news!), what it'd cost, how close a 'decent and nice' hotel would be (and what ocean front would cost, since my wife likes sitting on a balcony beholding the sea for some reason), which side of the road you drive on & how bad traffic is (not everybody comes from a big city), where the good stores and local restaurants are, and what local non-scuba excursions can entertain the family.

Have you noticed how the cruise ship industry does an enormous business by bundling everything together and making it so easy for the customer? You cannot do all of that, but how close can you get?

My thoughts, anyway.

Richard.

We are planning a trip to PR in the next couple weeks. My wife wants to stay in San Juan- but it sounds like the good diving is not easily accessible from there. Should I give up on the idea of diving on this trip?

How long a road trip are you willing to make, and are you willing to rent a car and drive?

Also, contact the dive shop you want to use. Back in April '06, my wife & I did a honeymoon cruise, following by a 3 day stay at the Hyatt Dorado. I had the hotel concierge arrange us a dive; the dive guide from Sea Ventures in Fjardo drove up, picked my wife & I up, picked up others at another hotel, and drove us to Fjardo for a boat dive.

Ask. You might be surprised what they're open to, and even if they don't offer such a service, it's not much hassle to find out.

We are planning a trip to PR in the next couple weeks. My wife wants to stay in San Juan- but it sounds like the good diving is not easily accessible from there. Should I give up on the idea of diving on this trip?

How long are you going to be on the island? When we went, we spent the first two days in Old San Juan, then rented a car and drove to Rincon to dive for four days.

We have a week but we are in San Juan the whole time. Wondering if it's worth driving down to the West Coast for a day of diving.

How did you like the diving from Fjardo? I see some mixed reviews. I will have a car and don't mind driving for good diving.

My 1st 2 dives after OW training, so didn't have a lot to compare it to. Decent general Caribbean diving. I don't recall viz. being great like Cozumel or some Bonaire diving, but we had a good time.

I enjoyed the ride across the island to get there; Puerto Rico is fairly lush.

Richard.

Fjardo is OK. Humacao is a little better and some of the dive shops will go from both locations depending on weather and clients. These are both average diving at best but they are short trips to the dive sites. Figure 45 minutes to an hour from Isla Verde. I'd stay at Fjardo or Humacao as they are really nice locations with some great golfing as well.

I have stayed on the island many times and have found La Parguera to be the best diving (the wall is something that you will remember for years) but it's on the opposite side of San Juan and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. Best to stay there. Be aware that most of the diving is local and they don't always have enough folks to go out.

If you want to really get the PR life then go to Culebra or Vieques. Both offer very good diving and a look at the way PR used to be. Culebra is a resort island for the Puerto Ricans and it has a beautiful beach.

Staying in Humacao (Palmas del Mar) in late January. Sea Watch Divers and Sea Ventures both have websites that say they leave from marina located there. Wondering if donhealy or anyone else has info on typical weather/water conditions for that time of year. Hope to do at least 3 days of diving.

Have also seen a few comments related to Sea Ventures but not Sea Watch Divers. Anyone know about them?

I have never heard of Sea Watch divers, but Sea Ventures was a joke. Booked a month in advance, paid in full, 2 out of three days canceled due to them not selling out the boat. The diving I did get a chance to do was subpar at best, Fajardo isn't exactly a diving mecca. Do yourself a favor and drive down to La Parguera. Talk to Kiko or Cashi at Paradise Scuba (787-899-7611). If Luis answers and you can't understand him, just ask when Kiko or Cashi will be back in. Luis speaks English, but it is more of a Spanglish. They will take you out and you will see vis like none other. You book with them, you go out on the boat. That simple. Three out of five days I dove with them, it was just my wife and I, they still sailed. As for Culebra, I had a nice dive, it was nothing spectacular, but we went out and had a nice time. I don't recommend the tourist shop at the ferry dock Culebra Divers. Call Ann at www.diveculebra.com and use her op, much nicer setup. She will meet you at the ferry dock and take you to their shop.

Back
Top Bottom