Question Diving in Pensacola, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dochran24

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are considering going to Pensacola FL in a couple of months to do some diving. We are open water certified since February. Been doing some research and am a little confused. Appears you have to rent equipment from one shop & dive w/another? Also will the charter assign you (and whoever else may be diving) a dive master? Not yet comfortable enough to dive without one. Thanks in advance!

Depends on the dive op, but in the FL Panhandle some actually don't rent any equipment (even tanks) but those I've seen will have a link to where you can rent equipment (for example: MBT Divers). But I believe you're going to have to check with the specific dive op. Also ask the dive op if weights are included -- some boats do not include weights even.

Also, since most boat dives in the Panhandle are on specific structures (wrecks, rubble, etc.) but are not drift dives, many dive ops only have the divemaster tether the boat to a mooring, but don't actually lead the dive (may not be in the water at all) -- you just descend down the mooring line, swim around the wreck yourself, and come back up the same mooring line. Generally pretty easy diving, but being that new you may want to hire a private Divemaster (at extra cost) for extra caution.

Depends on the dive op, but in the FL Panhandle some actually don't rent any equipment (even tanks) but those I've seen will have a link to where you can rent equipment (for example: MBT Divers). But I believe you're going to have to check with the specific dive op. Also ask the dive op if weights are included -- some boats do not include weights even.

Also, since most boat dives in the Panhandle are on specific structures (wrecks, rubble, etc.) but are not drift dives, many dive ops only have the divemaster tether the boat to a mooring, but don't actually lead the dive (may not be in the water at all) -- you just descend down the mooring line, swim around the wreck yourself, and come back up the same mooring line. Generally pretty easy diving, but being that new you may want to hire a private Divemaster (at extra cost) for extra caution.
Thank you Rob! This confirms what I was gleaning from my research. We got spoiled in St. Lucia with Action Adventure Divers where we finished our certification. It's a small shop and the DM is super patient and is on every dive. Guess we will learn as we go along!

Thank you Rob! This confirms what I was gleaning from my research. We got spoiled in St. Lucia with Action Adventure Divers where we finished our certification. It's a small shop and the DM is super patient and is on every dive. Guess we will learn as we go along!

I strongly echo @Rob9876 ‘s comments. Diving in the panhandle is *very* different from a high-touch Caribbean operator. You will almost certainly be expected to be 100% self-sufficient in everything: skills, equipment and process. That doesn’t mean you can’t make specific arrangements with an operator for a different experience, but it means that unless you specifically ask for such details you will not get them. (And there’s no guarantee that they will be willing or even able to, even if you ask.)

The danger is one of incompatible fundamental expectations. You may not even have realized that some detail was automatically taken care of you before: it might have been completely invisible to you. But to the panhandle provider, it might not even occur to them that you might need that detail to be made aware to you, let alone handled. Weights were mentioned above — a very frequently overlooked detail. Or the ability to change over tanks on a bumpy boat on your own. Or simply drinking water available on the boat. Or who knows what detail you might be missing. :)

I am *not* trying to talk you out of this! But given your number of dives, and the fact that the panhandle is kind of the opposite of your previous experience, I fear that the opportunity for disconnect is high. I encourage you to carefully think through literally every detail of your previous dive process, from before you left your home through getting back, and try to note down each step. Think about what exactly was done for you, and decide if you can either do it for yourself, or make sure that there is a person that has agreed to do it for you (likely for an additional cost).

Given the questions you asked initially, and the research you seem to be doing, I think you have a good chance to have a great experience. And keep asking questions!

You should probably go diving in another part of the state, one with better visibility and more operators to help you along, if you are not self-sufficient to some extent.

You should probably go diving in another part of the state, one with better visibility and more operators to help you along, if you are not self-sufficient to some extent.
Jonah, since you live in SE Florida you probably have more info than I do, but here's my experience from several trips: while viz is usually better in SE Florida, it seems a lot of the boat dives these days there require AOW and either require Nitrox or is highly suggested (makes sense for the dive profiles) -- which the OP may not have as a new diver.

Also, though many/most dive ops have a DM in the water, the DMs tend to be a little more hands-off than the Caribbean dive ops and the diving is mostly drift diving, which some new divers may find challenging to stay with the DM. So, in my limited experience the diving in SE Florida (though good viz and overall very good diving) might be a little more challenging to new divers like the OP versus some easy in-shore dives in Pensacola, like the popular Joe Patti Barge.

But again, that's based on my limited experience -- would be happy to hear of other ideas for fairly easy, good viz boat dives in SE Florida.

Jonah, since you live in SE Florida you probably have more info than I do, but here's my experience from several trips: while viz is usually better in SE Florida, it seems a lot of the boat dives these days there require AOW and either require Nitrox or is highly suggested (makes sense for the dive profiles) -- which the OP may not have as a new diver.

Also, though many/most dive ops have a DM in the water, the DMs tend to be a little more hands-off than the Caribbean dive ops and the diving is mostly drift diving, which some new divers may find challenging to stay with the DM. So, in my limited experience the diving in SE Florida (though good viz and overall very good diving) might be a little more challenging to new divers like the OP versus some easy in-shore dives in Pensacola, like the popular Joe Patti Barge.

But again, that's based on my limited experience -- would be happy to hear of other ideas for fairly easy, good viz boat dives in SE Florida.

There are a lot of shallower dives where you do not need nitrox or AOW. There are plenty of those options in Pompano, Deerfield, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, and the Keys. Once you go north of Boca Raton you'll find that you are correct where everything is 60'+ and at that depth you should be on Nitrox (in fact everyone should always dive Nitrox for safety IMO, it's cheap and easy to get the cert). This is still within OW ranges, but not as simple.

Each area has different rules in regard to a guide in the water and if you need to haul a flag or not. Drift diving is more advanced, but requires less navigation, so it's a crapshoot. There are plenty of shallow wrecks where you do not need either.

There are hundreds of options I can give you depending on if you want a wreck or reef and if you want anchored or drift diving. Just reply and I'll provide some operators and details.

I went out with Niuhi Dive Charters as a VERY new diver, out of Pensacola. I highly recommend them - they do everything from tech trips to the Oriskany to beginner dives. Captain Andy is great, and they will put divemasters in the water for new divers. Tell them when you contact them that you are new divers, and be open about what you need/are nervous about. They will help make sure you go to appropriate dive sites and make sure you feel supported; they don't rent gear I believe, but they can recommend a shop to rent from.

Oh my goodness all of your replies have been SO helpful!!! Yes I assumed we may not always get that hands on experience like we did in St. Lucia and didn't want to take it for granted we could just go somewhere and expect that. I did look at Niuhi and they do have an option to rent from another dive shop. Definitely not giving up on the idea just yet but this has been just wonderful advice!

Now that @Rilelen has given you a specific recommendation for a company that is willing to cater to new divers, I want to talk you out of doing these dives even less! But… If you are looking for alternatives, I absolutely love Pompano Beach Florida. There are dives from reefs and wreck debris at 30 feet all the way to as deep as you want to go. The ancient mariner and Okinawa are two shipwrecks that might be able to be done by open water divers: they’re in the 60 to 70‘ range. Skill wise you are likely OK, but liability/rules might be the issue.

Dive masters are usually not automatic in south Florida, but are easy to get. It costs a little bit more to have them, but at least then it’s a private experience: just your buddy team or whatever and the dive master.

Once again, the experience on board is usually not high touch. However, if that’s negotiated in advance you might be able to get that paired with hiring a dive master. Honestly, I’m going to use this as an opportunity to encourage you to become self reliant in that way if possible. It will certainly open a lot more doors. But if you’re not ready for that, I have a feeling you can work something out pretty easily.

ETA: Oh, and by the way: if you do go to Pompano, make sure you stop by Flanagan’s. Very good fish, the ribs are decent as well, and the drinks are inexpensive. Nothing fancy, but really solid. I never go to Pompano without hitting Flanagan’s at least a couple of times. :) and my wife reminded me of the other place we like to go: Las Vegas. It’s a Cuban restaurant. I think there’s more than one, but the one we go to is in Oakland, I think. In any case, incredible Cuban food. All Cuban food is good, and Las Vegas is better than average.

Another place that has plenty of options that would work very nicely for you is Key Largo Florida. A lot of people knock Rainbow Reef because they’re kind of micromanaging, but that might be exactly the experience you are looking for. Again, plenty of shallow reefs and debris to see. (shipwrecks in 30 feet of water aren’t usually allowed to stay that way: they’re usually dynamited… :) ) On a good, clear, sunny day, molasses reef is as beautiful as any spot you’re going to find in the United States. And you can stay anywhere from 10 to 30 feet there.

ETA: In Key Largo, if you want a more upscale fish experience, I recommend The Fish House. Again, very good fish, and a choice of fresh caught local fish. The crab stuffing is really good, as are the beans and rice. And there’s also a place called Mrs. Mac’s. There’s actually two of them, both a little different. Very good food, good service. I prefer the newer, larger one a little bit farther north. My favorite part is when they have lionfish. They don’t always have it, but when they do, get it. Mild, tender, flavorful. And it helps get them off the reef. :)

So hopefully you’ll have plenty of options that can meet your needs, both above and under the water.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom