Diving in Oahu in April. Please advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like that play by play dive tutorial for Haunama Bay - I'll make sure to use it if I ever dive there.

Do you ride down in the trolley wearing your gear - or do you take it off and put it somewhere in the trolley?

VBLUEV

Thanks for the excellent explanation at the Bay. It clears up alot of my questions. However there is still one left. Are there tanks rentals/weight + fills there? Or I have to figure that part outside of the park?

Also buddies...what are the chances of finding a buddy there? Since I haven't been able to get anyone here on Scubaboard to buddy with me :(

Johnny

chepar... i ride down with my rig on my back. try to get on the very back row, the step up isn't as high. btw the all-day tram-pass is only $2 [else $1 for each ride up and 50 cents for each ride down]

tram1.JPG

johnny... i know they rent all snorkel-gear at the bottom of the hill, but i've never seen signs for scuba tanks, so i'm not sure, i would think not.

there are several shops in hawaii-kai [the suburb/strip-malls just before hanauma-bay] where you could pro'ly rent tanks/weights. it should run you $5-10 per tank.

here are some links to the park that may answer other questions...
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hanauma_bay_beach.html
http://www.honolulu.gov/parks/facility/hanaumabay/welcome.htm

finally... if you go in the morning, plan on getting there early [before 9am] because oft times they'll close the parking lot if it gets full and normally don't re-open it for an hour or two until a bunch of cars have departed.

hanaumaroadmap.jpg

are y'all set for hanauma friday morning? remember to get there before 9am.

i think the folks on this board live here and thus "work" *cough* here, and aren't normally able to do a weekday dive.

there are usually a few other scuba divers there so you might be able to get a pick-up buddy (tho' many of 'em are tours. how's your japanese?)

surf forecast looks good for diving South tomorrow.
cheers

decided not to dive Hanauma Bay. Couldn't find a shop nearby to rent all the gear. Nor was it really worth it for 1 dive. So I just ended up snorkling.... Remind me not wear my computer doing it either. I am completely locked out (Suunto D9). Sigh...

Tonight dive was AWESOME. Thank you Lisa for being an excellent tour guide! Catherine came out too, but she was more interested in taking pix...but that's cool. Had a GREAT time. I wished my camera didn't "freeze" up at the Tiger...bummer!

Looking forward to the Corsair tomorrow morning!

hey now! you're making me look bad Turbo! ...this guy is pimped out in the gear department, people! Then he has one of those Hugh Hefner "dive robes" for the surface interval.... And I covet his pelican on steroids.

[QUOTE='Turbo]Tonight dive was AWESOME. Thank you Lisa for being an excellent tour guide! [/QUOTE]

Thank you for joining me, it was a very fun evening :D I do pretty good when I leave my UW camera at home :wink:...lol
Have fun on the Corsair!!

catherine96821:
hey now! you're making me look bad Turbo! ...this guy is pimped out in the gear department, people! Then he has one of those Hugh Hefner "dive robes" for the surface interval.... And I covet his pelican on steroids.

Naaaa... I ain't pimp'd out on gear, besides now I have to go get a steel reel :05: . :D I am not the one with the nice Ikelite housing! Maybe next time I come back I'll have the Subal setup :14:

It was nice meeting you, hope your pix comes out great.

justleesa:
Thank you for joining me, it was a very fun evening :D I do pretty good when I leave my UW camera at home :wink:...lol
Have fun on the Corsair!!

I usually do good too, until I get stabbed by Sea Urchins....:death2:

It doesn't look that bad this morning. All the blacks are gone, it's just sore and red now. hopefully it won't hamper my air consumptions.

I'll have to come back and dive with you guys again. It was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom