Diving in Oahu in April. Please advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoping I will be off work and can dive with you. Hanauma Bay is fine with me. They are closed on Tuesdays. Your family can snorkel while you dive. It is nice there. Bring your own picnic lunch and stay the day. The tram charges more for divers (because of all the gear and tanks), but well worth it. It is a steep hill and I am not up for the hike (with the gear). If the hubby is off he can dive also.

Melissa

Are you serious? I am planning to do 3 dives for 2 days if possible. Is there a water temp report for Hawaii I can check I don't want to have to abort from being too cold.

I'll be staying at the Renaissance Ilikai Waikiki Hotel. I will have my laptop, so I will check for emails on the board. I will be here on Thursday 20th morning. But I'll be doing land stuff.

If anyone want to dive Hanauma Bay on 21st that would be awesome. Wifey and daughter will be "trying to snorkle" there.

And I can dive 2 dives on the 22nd. I am open to who ever wants to take me... Boat or beach is fine.

Please email me turbo2@verizon.net or PM me here. I check the board maybe once a day.

I want to mark it on the to-do list ASAP so that I can arrange how my time is spent.

THANKS!

PS: Should I just bring skin, swimming trunks and maybe a 5/3 hooded vest? I am so used to the 52-59 degrees water here in So Cal..... Recommendation is needed.

I also need to rent tanks and weights.

Current average water temps are 74-76°F... so a 3mm should be fine. (besides, the full-moon occurs a week before you arrive, so there's a chance of jellies, and a suit can be a good precaution)

Hanauma is a great-dive up to 60-feet deep, lots of fish, eels, turtles, etc.
North-shore might have a couple flat days by then... and your family can also hang out on the beach at Three-Tables... Sharks-Cove is right next to it.

And, if you wanna do a day of boat/wreck diving... these guys take good care of you and they'll pick you up too:
http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/ (808) 423-8222

btw... I might be up for a shore-dive too... just PM.

VBlueV:
Current average water temps are 74-76°F... so a 3mm should be fine. (besides, the full-moon occurs a week before you arrive, so there's a chance of jellies, and a suit can be a good precaution)

Hanauma is a great-dive up to 60-feet deep, lots of fish, eels, turtles, etc.
North-shore might have a couple flat days by then... and your family can also hang out on the beach at Three-Tables... Sharks-Cove is right next to it.

And, if you wanna do a day of boat/wreck diving... these guys take good care of you and they'll pick you up too:
http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/ (808) 423-8222

btw... I might be up for a shore-dive too... just PM.

Another vote for Island Divers Hawaii, but I hear www.oahuscubadivers.com is good too. :D I would go diving with you but I have to work those days. Man it must be nice to be on vacation. :14:

So no one wants to join me? :(

I took your guys' suggestion and contacted http://www.oahuscubadiving.com/, since they are only 4mins away! I should be cover for Sat AM Dive. So I just need some buddy for a few dives on the 21st. I am open to suggestions, though I would like to dive Hanauma Bay. I am also down for night diving as well.

As for wears, what you guys think? Skin + swimming trunks + 5/7 Hooded vest... would I be warm enough?

Oka, anyone want to buddy up on Friday morning for a dive at Hamauna Bay? I like to get information on dives there. I looked on their website, but it seems like they are "leasons". I just want to dive :)

Or would I be able to just show up with my gear, and just dive :)

[QUOTE='Turbo]As for wears, what you guys think? Skin + swimming trunks + 5/7 Hooded vest... would I be warm enough?[/QUOTE]

We had a guy dive with a skin the other day and it worked for him. What are you used to?

Here in SoCal. We all dive 7mm. So I am used to that, and Dry Suit :)

I plan on diving skin with a swimming trunk during the day, and use that 3mm during the night dives.

Lisa, I will contact you on the boats.

I just need info on Hamauna Bay.

you can just show up to Hanauma Bay and dive...

park you car and just lock your gear in it for now.
go to the ticket booth and pay your $5 admission.
[tourists only, residents of Hawaii are free =]
watch the "mandatory" 10 minute "don't touch the reef/fish" video.
[get the stamp on your hand after the movie]
walk down to the tram-shuttle loading area and buy an "all-day-tram-pass"
[ensure to get the wrist-band]
also, purchase round-trip tickets for each tank you plan to use that day.
[it's $1 per tank, per trip... so $2 round-trip per tank]
[or... don't pay for the tram and just lug the stuff 150 yards
down AND up the 50% grade]
now, walk back to your car and gear up.
go back to the tram and ride it down.
walk past the showers, to the second life-guard-tower.
spot the orange-buoys ["basket-balls"] and enter the water.

swim to the "basket-balls" and find the gap in the rocks just past there.
surface swim past the inner reef break and pick-up the Trans-Pacific-Telephone-Cable
[you'll see two cables side-by-side on the bottom beginning at the rock-gap]
submerge around the mooring-buoy (for your dive flag?) or in about 15-20 feet of water.
follow the cable out until half-a-tank
[usually coincident with reaching 60 feet in depth]
coralhead1.JPG

there are a ton of fish and the viz usually picks up to 60-100+ feet at depth.
In addition, there is a vast reef with mounds and mountains of coral running
the length of the cable. [including coral growing on suspended cable]
cable1.JPG

in mid Mar, 'swam into a huge school of 2-3 foot jacks.
again, there's always plenty of turtles, eels, and of course
all of the colorful aquarium fish Hanauma is known for.
schooljacks1.JPG

return following the cable back thru the reef-break.
if you have enough air, try to stay submerged until you're back at the orange-buoys
[sometimes there's a slight current and it's easier to crawl your way through that gap
rather than surface-swim]
shower-off, then get on the tram and ride it up.
at the top, buy a $10 cheese-burger from their captive-audience-cafe =P
repeat as necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom