Diving in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwhthediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Having never been to Maui before, I was hoping for some advice on "must do" dives I am staying in Kaan'apali beach, any info will be helpful

Do a search and you'll get more details, but for our recent trip, I'd say these are "must do" for us:

- guided shore dive(s) with Shaka Doug
- Mala Wharf on a good vis day
- Molokini day trip for great vis if you like that sort of thing. I do.

Get out to molokini at least once. If nothing else just the predictably great viz. Have heard the Lanai dining can be good but never done it personally. Lots of great shore diving if the swell is not to bad. Honolua Bay can be good too if it's fairly calm (if you go there ask the locals if you can drive your car down it's much easier that way). It's a protected marine area so the reef fish seem to be larger than other areas. Lots of eels, turtles etc. I like 5 graves in South Maui for the white tips and abundance of turtles and the chance of eagle or manta rays.

Hawai'i 'Ohana

Ask a moderator to move this thread to the Hawai'i sub forum (link above) and you will likely get much better responses.

When are you staying on Maui, how long you are staying, what kind of dives are you interested in, how many days of diving and how many total dives you would like to make are all necessary info for the best recommendations. :)

Leaving Chicago on March 20, staying 8 days, probably 3-4 days of diving,maybe 8 total dives, going with a non diver

The nice thing about going with a non-diver is that the dives are almost always in the morning. If you dive out of Lahaina, you can be back for lunch and still have much of the day to sight see. If you are an advanced diver, Lahaina Divers goes to Molokai for the hammerheads, as well as Lanai and Molokini. A bit longer boat ride from Lahaina to Molokini but otherwise you have to drive to Kehei at o'dark thirty in the morning.

As others have mentioned, what kind of diving do you want to do?

When we dove in Maui, it was from Kihei. Fortunately we were staying in the area so it was only a 15 minute drive. The boats tend to leave the dock very early - seems line we had to be at the dock by 6:00. The good news was we were back at the dock by 11:00 so had a lot of time for other Hawaii adventures (including a shore dive or two if you want).

Having never been to Maui before, I was hoping for some advice on "must do" dives I am staying in Kaan'apali beach, any info will be helpful
Kaanapali is in West Maui, just north of Lahaina. The Lahaina based dive boats go mostly to Lanai. The signature dives there are the Cathedrals.

The other well known Maui dive site is Molokini. That is best accessed by using operators going out of the Kihei boat ramp in S. Maui, although there are some boats that make the run to Molokini from Lahaina.

The other "must do" dive is the trip to Molokai to see if the hammerhead sharks are around. $200 trip on Lahaina Divers.

For diving sites I would definitely say Molokini Crater. Some of the diving tours also go to Turtle Town and Coral Gardens.

For general things to do: Drive to Hana, Sunset at Haleakala, Little beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom