Diving in Maui & Kauai, 6/4-6/17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm visiting Maui 6/4-6/11 and Kauai 6/11-6/17 for my honeymoon. Any team-oriented scubaboarders feel like hooking up for a couple single tank dives during those dates? Any recommendations for a dive op? I'm looking for totally simple, no-stress, shallow diving maybe one morning in each location. Even better would be a location where my fiancee can snorkel while we dive.

I just booked the Kihei Beach Resort on Maui and am looking for a reasonably priced condo on the beach in Kauai. Any recommendations there would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Soggy,

On Maui you're going to be very close (w/in 10 minute drive) to some awesome shore diving. On almost all shore dives down in the Kihei/Wailea area, you'd have to dig to get deeper than 40fsw or so.

For charters, I'd recommend Ed Robinson's...class act op, though your profiles will be pretty aggressive (Molokini backside), and they don't have nitrox, though you can get nitrox at another shop and bring the tanks on board with you.

As far as team-oriented, Tim (kidspot) lives on Maui, you may want to pm him.

BDub:
Soggy,

For charters, I'd recommend Ed Robinson's...class act op, though your profiles will be pretty aggressive (Molokini backside), and they don't have nitrox, though you can get nitrox at another shop and bring the tanks on board with you.

As far as team-oriented, Tim (kidspot) lives on Maui, you may want to pm him.

Ed Robinson's do supply Nitrox, now.

I'll be around then, too -- though I might be busy for part of it.

If you want, PM me for contact info and we can sort out the site, etc. -- there are a number of south (Kihei/Wailea) Maui sites and West (Lahaina, etc.) sites that are doable with snorkelers in tow.

I have some issues with Ed Robinson's operation... PM me if you want details there.

Other alternatives: Mike Severns' Diving, Dive & Sea Maui, B&B Scuba.

As for Maui, if you are staying in lahaina or kaanapali go with Lahaina Divers. Or if you are in kihei go with scuba shack. both are great operations.

Kauai's diving is better, but be ready for bumpier seas. Much more marine life. There are only 3 operators that can be reccomended. Bubbles below on the west side, Fathom five and Seasport Divers on the south shore. All do a great job. Shore diving is good, but Kauai is all about boat diving. If you are an experienced diver, Niihau is a must dive. It is an all day trip, and Bubbles and Seasport both go May through September. Fathom says they go, but usually don't make the crossing and keep on the island of Kauai. The channel crossing can be very bumpy on a good day, but the diving is well worth it. Walls, caves and incredible visibility. I would not want to go on a windy day with bubbles as their boat is much smaller. They do a great job, but I don't think I would want to be on that small a boat. Seasport takes 2 groups of 6 on a 48 footer, and there is a ton of space on the boat.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking for a couple morning excursions, since this will be my honeymoon. I don't want to leave my then brand new wife behind for too long. I don't want her running off with some cabana boy or surfer dude, ya know! :wink:

Soggy, there's lovely shore diving in the Kihei area, although, if you are renting a car and the weather is good, I'd make the pilgrimage up to Lahaina to dive the Mala Pier. That's my favorite Maui dive, and kidspot lives quite close to there. He's a lovely diver and teammate, and is always very pleased to have a like-minded visitor to show around.

In the Kihei area, Ulua Beach is an easy, pleasant dive with excellent snorkelling. We've seen turtles and rays and white-tipped reef sharks on that dive. Get there early, because the parking lot fills up quickly. There's a shower to rinse the sand off your gear before you pack it back up, too.

I've been out with three Kihei dive ops, and I'd highly recommend Mike Severns. You won't get any comments on your gear (Pauline dives a BP/W with a can light) and you'll get excellent critter-oriented dive briefings. Depths can be aggressive (END > 100) but the ascent profiles are perfect check marks.

You will happy if you look into Fathom Fives operation in Poipu. I've had a blast diving with them for a number of years. I've actually made the crossing with Fathom to Niihau last season which was (I believe) their first year running the trip. Sounds like someone else had a diff experience. It sounds like you are doing 2 tanks anyway - and I still think you'd enjoy the small family operation they run. I've been going with them a while so my family and I are treated like family there - though we kinda felt that way from the start. Captains Kyle and Len, Debbie, Paul and Anthony all do a really great job. We won't dive with anyone else on Kauai.

Happy Hunting
RP

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals - I'd enjoy getting in a dive or two while you're here - might even have a couple gal friends interested in snorkeling with your new bride.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. PM sent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom