Diving in Maui & Big Island for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elenion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My fiancé and I will be in Maui (Makena area) and the Big Island (Kona and Kohala coast area) in late May 2006 for our honeymoon. We are new divers (certified with only 8 OW dives each so far). Any recommendations on dive ops who are especially good with newbies? We are interested in guided dives that are shallow (60 ft or less), hopefully with lots of critters.

I did my tenth dive in Maui. We went with B&B out of Kihei, and they took very good care of us. Molokini is a great place for tons of colorful fish.

There are lots of guys that do guided shore dives.

Shaka Doug , a Scubaboard member, is one the takes lots of people for shallow shore dives in South Maui.

After doing a couple of dives with him to get used to diving again, then I'd recommend booking a boat trip to Molokini. B&B, Lahaina Divers, and Maui Dive Shop are all used to working with new divers.

Consider doing your AOW while in Maui and doing the back wall of Molokini, it is one of the top ten dives in the world! Also don't miss out on the Maui Ocean Center shark tank dive, spendy but worth it.

Jack's Diving Locker on the Big Island is very good with new divers. You'll be in a group with other people of your experience level, the dives will be shallower than 60 feet for the most part, and overall they make you feel really comfortable and orient you to how they do things. All dives have a divemaster who will get you back to the boat when your air is getting low, and everyone is allowed to dive their own profile so no worries about hoovering air.

Some of my first boat dives were with them as well as several of my friends and family. They are one of the larger boats, but they are really good with new divers.

Aloha and congratulations on your wedding! :)

Shaka Doug does a great job doing shore dives in your area and you can't beat B&B Scuba for boat dives. I have sent them dozens of my newer scuba students and they've all come home raving about their adventure. They have more dive leaders per diver on their boat than anyone else. Quite often its' 4 dive leaders with only 12 divers aboard. This allows them to mix and match levels easily.

Thank you for the responses! It sure makes planning that much easier. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom