Diving in Marathon, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there, I shall be doing my first open water dives in Marathon early May. Could anyone suggest any good dive operators/shallow dive sites for newbies? I really want to stick to 18m as a new diver and want to enjoy the experience.
Thanks so much,
Sarah

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of SCUBA! I guess I'm a little confused (easily done). You are taking your first open water dives in Marathon I'm assuming you already have an Instructor there. He will know where to take you. If you don't have an Instructor, do a little research - internet, your local dive shop on who they would reomend. Now assuming that you mean after you do your OW Cert dives well then -------- No question, you are in the heart of Looe Key country. Looe Key National Management Area - constantly rated as the "worlds" number one reef system. Depth to 40 feet, usually great visiability, shallow flats, LOTS to see. A great dive for newbees and I still love it with over 12 years of diving experiance! You will be right there do it! Its run by the Federal Government so watch that you don't take anything from the bottom. There are some other sights in Marathon but they tend to be in the a little on the deeper side 100+ feet, although there's Sombrero Reef which is only 30 foot. Hope you have a great time, and remember - to become a good (great) diver -- you dive!

Hi Louma, thanks for information - it's much appreciated. Yes, I have seen pictures of Sombrero Beach? I wonder whether the dive operators go out to the reef or whether this would be a shore dive? Thanks for the information on Looe Key National Management Area - I hope the dive boats go there - I would imagine they do? We're currently looking at different operators in the area (close to Coco Plum Dr.). I will be doing my four Open Water dives out there - referral here in the UK. I really hope that I take to diving. I do freedive and have seen a lot of stuff overseas - I want to Scuba so as I can stay down longer and take my time enjoying the marine life. I amfairly confident in the water - so I hope all goes well!
Thanks again.

In Marathon try Tilden's SCUBA Center phone 305-743-7255 they are at mile marker 49.5 (if you have never been to the keys every places location is identified by mile marker) they will boat you out to Sombrero. Also, if you don't have a place set up to do your referral they will do this also. Other dive shops in the area: Capt. Hooks mm 53.0, 305-743-2444, C.J.' Dive Center mm 48.5, 305-289-9433, The Diving Site mm 53.5, 305-289-1021. Looe Key is Government Owned and operated I can't find their number but, I did find the Marathon Chamber of Commerce phone number - 305-743-5417 (they are open 8:30 to 5 mon-fri - would be a great place to visit 1st when you are down here mm 53.5 see what's going on in the area) give them a call - they may have a sight on the internet, and see if they can set you up on Looe Key dives.

Anyway, about diving in general - it's normal to be a little apprehensive prior to your OW dives, this is good, gets the blood flowing. Just remember, it's just like in the pool only a little deeper. These first few dives that you make will be the safest you'll make. Lots of supervision by the Instructor. The hardest portion will be doing your "skills" mask clearing, regulator recovery, etc. Once you are done with these the rest is easy -- it's just diving and diving IS FUN. One of my sons who has been diving with me for years always tells people that the certifing agencies always make getting certified so hard. Once you have your "C" card "diving is easy". We do make certification a little hard because we want to put good, safe, confident divers in the water but, my son is right - diving is easy. Now just go do it and have a great time. I want a full report once you're back home!

Just came upon your post on sharks, it is a fairly old thread so I don't know how many responses yoy'll get but let me take a shot at it. Consider yourself fortunate if you see a shark they are wonderful creatures and to see them in their natural enviornment is truly something else. I saw a post here that one diver who dove for over 36 years only saw a shark one time. That's a lot of diving without seeing a shark. I have seen lots of them, but the sometimes I want to and dive in areas that I know they will be there. Most species are harmeless. As far as I could research - last year there were only 3 deaths by sharks last year - worldwide. Now consider how many millions of people enter the water every day and that's a very low percentage. One of the other tidbits I have found out that they have been keeping records of shark deaths since 1574 and there have been only about 1200 deaths recorded (hey, I just report the stuff - I do get a lot of questions on sharks from my students!). You can look at the statistics and you'll see that you are far more likely dying from a bee sting, lightning strike or dog bite combined than from a shark. Add to this the fact that sharks don't like to eat people and they REALLY don't like to eat SCUBA divers (they don't like our bubbles) - then you are really safe diving SCUBA. In my research on sharks I have not been able to come across any info on a diver being bitten by a shark. I'm sure it has happened, but it was prob. the divers fault - somehow cornering the shark without giving it a way to get away from the diver without going through the diver.

Feel safe. Both locations you are diving will have very clear water. You may see a shark off in the distance but, rest assured he will see you and will want to get away from you more than you will want to get away from him.

Marathon operators probably won't go to Looe Key, it's too far. The marine sanctuary itself is controlled by the the feds, but there is free access to the reef. Looe Key Reef Resort is a privately owned business that runs snorkel/scuba trips out to Looe Key on a daily basis.

If you have any other questions about the lower keys, feel free to ask!

Rachel

Louma & Biscuit7, thanks for your input. I will definitely post here upon my return and let you know how I get on Louma. I am not too worried about seeing a shark - I know that they don't respond too well to the bubbles, so I just hope they won't like my bubbles either - should I be lucky enough to see one!

Louma:
In Marathon try Tilden's SCUBA Center phone 305-743-7255 they are at mile marker 49.5

I second Tilden's. I usually divve Conch Republic in Tavernier, but in January I also ventured down to Marathon and used Tilden's a couple of days, after having them recommended to me. They are good folks; you won't go wrong with them.

I liked tilden's as well I did my first night dives with them.
the only thing is they limit you to 50 minutes bottom time
that's ok for a hoover like me :)
but it might be an issue for you

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.. this board is so useful.. especially for a newbie diver like me! Oh, and this will be my first trip to Florida.. usually we head down to Bonaire (which is a great place for diving, especially shore diving)!
Thanks again,
Sarah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom