Diving in Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bennyscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Dive Shops in Kona. I've heard DiveTek recommended but I was wondering about anyone else. I'm an advanced diver so would like a place that would go away from the over crowded spots. Also, I'll be diving for a few days in a row, so any shop that is good about going to different sites each day would be ideal too...

Also, are there any recommendations for can't miss sites - most of my hawain diving has been on oahu so i'm new the big island. I'll be staying the first few days in kona and the second few days in kamuela...

Thanks for the advice...

bg

Avoid Kohala divers. Shore diving on BI is great. Two step, airport, Puako. Look up shorediving.com for maps and directions. Must do is the manta dive then follow it up with a black water dive. Book this early in your trip so if it gets cancled you can try again.
Aloha and enjoy your visit.

bennyscuba:
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for Dive Shops in Kona. I've heard DiveTek recommended but I was wondering about anyone else. I'm an advanced diver so would like a place that would go away from the over crowded spots. Also, I'll be diving for a few days in a row, so any shop that is good about going to different sites each day would be ideal too...

Also, are there any recommendations for can't miss sites - most of my hawain diving has been on oahu so i'm new the big island. I'll be staying the first few days in kona and the second few days in kamuela...

Thanks for the advice...

bg

Kona Honu Divers were awesome for us as they kept the divers grouped according to experience - adv divers with one DM, others with another DM. They made sure that you got to dive the sites and see what you wanted to see without feeling like herded cattle, and no one had to get back on the boat until you hit 500psi. As photographer/videographer pair we really appreciated that.
I am working on pictures and videos of the trip.

robint

I just returned from Kona this morning. I dove with Wanna Dive. Steve has a small operation going, six divers max. He and Bob, our dive master, were very knowledgable on the local fish. We had drinks and sandwiches on our surface intervals. We were given a good briefing and told what we would probably be seeing. They also do the manta dives and supply the lights for you. Some of what we saw were, whitemouth eels, flame angelfish, octupus, numerous shrimp, turtles at pinnacle, also saw a yellow margin eel, this is not a complete list by any means. The manta dive was awesome and I highly recommend it. I only did four dives, but we we had nice long dives, all of them an hour or more 56 min. being the shortest(dure to my excitement and lousy air consumption and 72 min. being the longest). The best thing I can say about them is, I felt like a friend on the boat, not a client.http://www.wanna-dive-kona.com/
Good diving to you.

I dove with Kona Honu Divers a few weeks ago. We did a 2 tank, sunset and then manta ray night dive. I liked the crew and the briefing before our dives. They made me feel right at home on their boat. There were 2 groups of divers with a DM in each group. I think there were about 5 or 6 divers in each group and maybe 4 snorkelers on the boat.

If I remember, Kona Honu was the most reasonable priced. I had to go as cheap as possible for my buddy that was going with me (that didn't make it anyway).

Vent: (My buddy told me her grandpa was sick only to find out she took a stunt job instead....grrrr, which I just found out about the other day. So she didn't make the trip. I would have gone on the black water dive if I had known she was going to flake on me.) This happened at the last minute. Kona Honu were nice enough to not charge me for my buddies last minute cancellation.

I have not been on any other boats in Kona, however the next time I go back I'll try another op. Jack's is on my list and or whomever does the black water dive.

Enjoy your time on the Big Island. It's BIG and it's beautiful!

Im diving with Kona Honu Divers 12/1; 12/3; 12/4. First time on the BI. Will let you know how it goes.

I dove with Kona Honu Divers all last week. Very nice boat, knowledgeable and friendly divemasters and staff. They will take care of hook up, clean up and storage of all your gear if you want that kind of service. We didn't have the same divemaster on every dive which I think gives you a broader experience. Our group had the whole boat so the grouping of divers to divemasters was pretty much set by us. The manta dive was awesome. It was relatively well orgainzed considering how many divers were at the site.

Back
Top Bottom