Diving in Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanatic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for some recommendations. We are going to Kauai in October and need a dive shop, boat, etc. Any insight would be apprteciated.

Aloha,

Thought I'd send ya a little info that might help you out.

The primary diving on Kauai is on the south side (unique compared to the other islands). If you are staying in Poipu or Koloa you will be within minutes of the two primary shops on the entire island (Fathom Five divers and Seasport). The best of the diving on the south side is without a doubt out of the Kukui'ula harbour in Poipu. Two shops run out of Port Allen as well (further south) but often end up coming all the way up to the sites easily access by Fathom and Seasport with only a 3-10 min run. Sheraton Caverns is the number one requested dive sight on the island and is usually packed with turtles and other amazing marinelife. The Caverns are essentially in the 40-65ft range which allows for a long bottom time as well! For the more experienced divers Turtle Bluffs and Zachs Pocket are divemaster favorites.

I personally work for Fathom Five (the last of the 6 passenger boats on the island). We run 2 day trips Sun-Sat at both 7:30am and 1:00pm. We also then offer 1 tank night dives and two tank Twilight/night dives 3-4 times per week. All of our divemasters are also instructors with a bare minimum of 2500 dives in Hawaii. The ole timers have been with us for so long (12-20 years) that they've long lost count.

Seasports runs a similiar schedule in the am/pm and also does night dives. We are located within a couple miles of one another.

While diving with us on a 2 day or two day plus schedule (Kauai DM's regardless of company) you are sure to see Turtles, octopus, whitetip reef sharks, crown of thorns seastars, trevally of various species, horned helmet shells, at least 1/2 dozen species of Moray eels!, endemic fish of countless species (fish only found in Hawaiian waters), rare Boarfish and spotted knifejaws, nudibranchs, flatworms, cone shells, gobies.... the list goes forever. October is also the time we generally begin to see more and more spotted eagle rays as they come into shallow waters to mate at that time of year. While it is amazingly early and only the second time for myself - we did actually see our first Humpbacks on October 11th of last year! Unllikely to happen again? Well, the ocean never seems to stop amazing me!!!!

Check into obtaining the ultimate Kauai guidebook for planning your trip. It is full of amazing gems and suggestions concerning the best of the best on the island.

If you have any specific questions I can help with just let me know

Best of island wishes
Aquaman

ok this is nowhere near as detailed as the other reply, but....

last summer while I was in Kauai I went diving with Bubbles Below. They had been recommended to me by a friend, and I had a pretty good experience. It was a small operation but very friendly and competent, and I really enjoyed myself. The diving was beautiful!

Aquaman

We are staying at Kauai Beach Villas at Pahio, 4330 Kuai Beach Drive, Lihue, Kauai. Not knowing the island very well, I am not sure if the location or faciltities you gave me is close or not. We will be there 21-28 October. My buddy and me definetley prefer the small 6 pax. I am an avid UW photo and video bug so I cant wait to dip my cameras in your blue waters. I will definitely look in to the guidebook. Let's keep in touch as I have not locked into a dive operation yet.

Mahalo

Fathom Five and Seasports are right near you. Bubbles Below is a bit of a drive. I dove with Bubbles Below last week while we were in Kauai. It was a good experience. And, as I have noted elsewhere, we were visited by a whale shark during our surface interval.

Back
Top Bottom