Diving in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We've never been to Jamaica and are considering it for our yearly dive trip. Is the diving good there? If so, what location to stay? Negril, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay? Also, which resort is the best for your money? Is now a good time to go? Is the water temp is comparable to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and some of the other Caribbean countries? We are interested in all inclusive. Lately, we have been diving in Cozumel and really enjoy the diving there, but want to try some other Caribbean location. Thanks for your information!

West end for diving... I wouldn't consider Jamaica a destination to plan a dive trip, but if I was there I'd dive.....
It's not bad, but it isn't "great". I'm sure others will chime in. There are a few around here who feel it's better than I do.

Yes, we did have some bad weather when I was there, and we were limited to one day and only on the house reef, but the lack of environmental controls showed in the health of the reef as well as the utter lack of big fish. Did see some Spotted Eagle Rays, and dolphins were seen from the shore, but I expected much better. YMMV/

I wouldn't consider Jamaica a destination to plan a dive trip, but if I was there I'd dive

Exactly!! Nothing great or exceptional there for a "dive trip" at all. If you want to go on a dive trip, there are many other places in the Caribbean that offer superior diving compared with Jamaica.

i have not dived jamaica but just got back from a cruise and dove grand turks,grand caymen and cozumel and in my opinion grand caymen was the best of the 3 it offered the most sea life

We are two of the unabashed fans of Jamaica, and here's a couple of my prior postings.

Diving in Jamaica Thread

Negril - Change of Plans

White House - Jamaica

And hopefully it shows in my comments in these threads, but there is so much more to do on the island than dive, and it is both the sites and excursions, as well as the diving that keeps us going back.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Dove Ocho Rios area a couple of years ago...dead, dead, dead.

I'm not a seasoned diver by any stretch of the imagination, but Jamaica is my near annual go-to vacation spot.

If you're looking for an all-inclusive resort that includes your diving (and you're going with a significant other) then I'd recommend Couples (www.couples.com) either Negril or Swept Away (both in Negril). I've dove with both resorts and it was good diving (again considering my limited experience). 2 dives a day are included (both boat dives) and Saturday is a 2 tank dive.

Includes all equipment (wet suits available for rent) or you can bring your own and rent a locker in the dive shop, Nitrox is available, no tipping allowed, and they offer PADI upgrades at a significantly cheaper rate than (I can find) at home.

The resorts are pretty awesome as well, all you can eat, drink, etc. and good nightlife and entertainment for your time spent out of the water.

I'm not a seasoned diver by any stretch of the imagination, but Jamaica is my near annual go-to vacation spot.

If you're looking for an all-inclusive resort that includes your diving (and you're going with a significant other) then I'd recommend Couples (www.couples.com) either Negril or Swept Away (both in Negril). I've dove with both resorts and it was good diving (again considering my limited experience). 2 dives a day are included (both boat dives) and Saturday is a 2 tank dive.

Includes all equipment (wet suits available for rent) or you can bring your own and rent a locker in the dive shop, Nitrox is available, no tipping allowed, and they offer PADI upgrades at a significantly cheaper rate than (I can find) at home.

The resorts are pretty awesome as well, all you can eat, drink, etc. and good nightlife and entertainment for your time spent out of the water.

We've stayed at Couples Negril every time we've been to Jamaica. Dove with the on-site the first time, then three times with an off-site, but next time, we'll be back with the on-site. We didn't dive last time we were there, but our observations were that the convenience of the on-site far outweighs some of the advantages of an off-site (like smaller boats and more dive site selection).

We first went to Negril in 2003, and feel like the reefs have improved ever time we have gone back.

One of the things I like about the dive teams at Negril and Swept Away is that once you establish a relationship, you get to pick the dive sites you visit, or at least they will consider your request when planning the days dives.

That and this year the Negril team gave some friends from the UK a boat ride over from Negril to Swept Away so we could dive together (just so happen to be the friends that introduced us to diving).

We've been going to Jamaica since 2000 - unfortunately we didn't start diving back then so I can't compare the reefs from then to now.

I meant to post on my original comment that while I hear the diving in Ocho Rios is nice as well, I know the weather and water conditions there frequently limit the diving and the days they'll take the boat out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom