Diving in Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sardinia is the best diving destination in Italy if you hit the marine protected areas.
April to November is usually the diving season but the best diving is from September to October and sometimes November -- water is warm - much less people - the schooling fish is out in numbers! Alghero and Tavolara marine parks are the most scenic and recommended areas - but all Sardinia is a great place to visit! 5mm suits are the typical wetsuits used. April through May a thick 7 mm one or dry suit recommended.
Ciao
Andrea

I emailed some outfits in Palermo as I have a day there on the 24th of this month to dive.....no reply from any of them! (Except Orca which said they had no DMs that day as they were all off to some other island)...

Can anyone help? Is the diving there ok for beginners?

Eskasi:
I will be going to Palermo mid/late April and Malta early May. any idea what water temps are like? will a good quality 3mm fullsuit be enough??

Today's sea surface temperature is around 17° in Sicily. I highly recommend you a semy-dry suit at least, even if a dry suit would be the best choice.

Have a nice time in Italy! :)

Diving in Calabria is one of the best dive spots of the Mediterranean sea......

comparing diving in South East Asia with Italy, how are the marina life? I have been diving in the South East Asia all of my time and I would be going to Italy for a biz trip, was wondering if it is worth diving over there, if it is worth, I would only bring over my reg and my dive com over, since I would be diving for one day only.

Compared to SE Asia, the mediterranean is relatively barren - in general far less marine life, forget the crazy colorful corals and such. I quite enjoyed diving on Elba a few years back, but it's not really remotely near the top of my 'amazing dives' list, while Raja and Komodo both are.

thanks a lot for the heads up, will only bring along my d6i then. most likely i will be skipping the dive for this trip.

now is should i bring my dslr or my g7x mkii!!! lol
Italy calls for good camera both for ground photos and underwater. For underwater consider wideangle, Med is no good for macro.

My wife is looking at orders in Italy (US Navy), so...hows the diving there? Most dive wet or dry? Is the water warm year around? Is there much in the way of shore diving?

I dove this summer in northern Sicily, water was 30°C in August (wetsuit was enough), dropped at 20°C in November then remained stable at 17°C until the start of January 2020 (semi-dry suit 7.5mm is confortable enough but many wear a dry-suit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom