Diving in Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife is looking at orders in Italy (US Navy), so...hows the diving there? Most dive wet or dry? Is the water warm year around? Is there much in the way of shore diving?

Italy is a big place. We lived in Milan in the North. The sea at Portofino, near Genova is well known as a good dive site. The lakes also provide some diving and there are a number of cave dives in the North too. The South has many opportunities including shore diving on both the western and eastern coasts.

Give us some more details of where your wife will be and I'm sure there will be people that can give better details.

Chris

Don't miss Sicily! A really great Diving Center Association there is the Assodiving: www assodivingsicilia org All very professional and helpful. The best, IMHO, Ustica at the north of Palermo. Incredible underwater visibilities, warm water, great people.
Don't miss it, if you can organize such a trip.
Best regards!
Hidroj
PS: If you are interested about Ustica, here at Scubaboard, at the photo Galleries, I placed some pictures I shot this September in Ustica. They may help you to get a first impression about this place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an opportunity to go to Naples in June 2007 for a conference and am considering going if the diving is worthwhile. Might anyone relate experiences, dive shops, charters, water temperatures, etc. for diving in Naples in June?

I dove off the coast of Portofino a couple of years ago in September. It was beautiful, a little cool at 60 degree water temp, but nice and clear, maybe 60 foot viz? The mountains extended into the sea and it was just beautiful. The tube worms were huge and the anemones were hot pink, neon green, red, and yellow! I found this one wall that had what looked like little roses sprouting all over it, I called it the rose garden.

GypsyDoc:
I have an opportunity to go to Naples in June 2007 for a conference and am considering going if the diving is worthwhile. Might anyone relate experiences, dive shops, charters, water temperatures, etc. for diving in Naples in June?

Depends on what you like to dive. The Napoli area at that time of year is nice and warm with good viz.

If someone else were paying I would go :) Its mainly reef diving and wrecks are my thing, but the food is good :eat_arrow Napoli is a dreadful place and not to my liking.

Chris

I´m also interested in diving in italy.

Somewhere I´ve read that on the island of sardinia should be great places to dive. Is that right? If yes? Could someone recommend a place to go or a diving-station?

Thanks and greetings

what about Rota, Spain? Another pretty place we are thinking about going....come to think of it, If any of Ya'll see US Navy people in your town, and it's pretty, warm, and not rainy 300/365 days, with good diving, let me know : )

BettyK:
I´m also interested in diving in italy.

Somewhere I´ve read that on the island of sardinia should be great places to dive. Is that right? If yes? Could someone recommend a place to go or a diving-station?

Thanks and greetings

Sardinia has a wide variety of dives - caves, wrecks and reefs. So depending on what you like there are many places to choose from.

The main airport is on the north of the island and there is plenty of good diving near there.

Chris

I am looking to move to Italy by next summer to the Bologna area, and I was wondering what there is in terms of diving. I am currently working on my Divemaster, so it would be even better if anyone knew of a place that I could work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom