Diving in Isla Mujeres

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know of any shore diving, doesn't mean its not somehow possible. However, there are no diver hotels with dive ops built in, where typically you can get this shore diving capability. However, I wouldn't be suprised to find one of the single man dive ops being able to arrange it, as they appear to be operating under the guise of if you have cash they will dive somehow, someway to get that money from you.

Well I did go to several shops while we were in Isla Mujeres, but I was not certified, and even though I speak fluent Spanish, I had no intention of getting certified there after seeing the operations! We did however do several snorkel trips and they were flat out amazing! I have a really good friend that lives in Cancun so we will be making that area one of our primary destinations. But I can agree with what everyone has said, that they are seriously money hungry out on the little island of Isla, but man I just love it. Everything was absolutely perfect out there.

Hi everybody!! the underwater museum is located by south point of Isla mujeres , i have my own dive shop it call Squaloadventures Padi resort #22312 we do shipwrecks , the sleeping shark cave , drift dive with the turtles , swim with the whale sharks , nigth dive , we do a lot of dives around isla mujeres where you can have great dives , good food and relax time on island enviroment meeting people only by walking on the main street , please click to : Dive isla Mujeres with Squaloadventures : and give us a try !! you will love this Island!!!

No need to go to Contoy to see whale sharks, the secret is the whale shark experience is available at Isla Mujeres and some consider far better doing it there. The difference will be the water quality, on Contoy you'll have the plankton filled water with low visibility, doing it from Isla you'll be in deep blue water with much better vis. Contoy operators are kind of pissed at the Isla operators who they feel are stealing their thunder. Contoy has very little tourist attraction dollars other than whale shark snorkeling, they have the mindset of Isla has everything else already, now they are stealing their whale shark business. But there is certainly a lot of whale shark snorkeling originating from Mujeres whether Contoy approves or not.

I think you mean Holbox, not Contoy.
Isla Contoy is a small island/national park/bird sanctuary North of Isla Mujeres.
Isla Holbox, reachable thru the port town of Chiquila, is the one known for whale-shark snorkeling tours.

Read your Isla Mujeres trip report, it mirrors the very limited dive experience I had on the island in every way : 1 day/2 tank trip, not even an hour total bottom time for the whole trip, leaky hose on rental reg, bad vis (due to 6 Discovery divers stirring up the sand at Manchones)…
Isla Mujeres is more of a party island for sun worshippers, not a dive-dedicated destination.

I know this is a bit out of date but for those reading the post . i have heard that the getting tanks on mexico is a bit hard as the operators would prefer you to spend $100 for 2tank led reef dive vs $ 10 per tank air fills . hate to say this but im sure cause its mexico it would likley be 20 per tank just cause they can

That may be true. However, while on Cozumel I used to regularly dive 'the wild side' where no operators go. I used to go by the big fill facility on the edge of town and rent the tanks directly from them for an equivelent of less than $5 each. They didn't even ask for a cert card but instead something to find out where I was staying in case I didn't bring the tanks back. Sweet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom