Diving in Iraq

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoah! My Cousin was an AFG SSGT working on an Army convoy from BIAP to Falluja for about a year. She had her share of pucker running that road. I guess at 5'9" she could handle the M16 hehe. BUT at least your wfs boss had the sense to give her a weapon she could shoot well. I know F's that are forced to carry the M16 when they can barely shoulder it.

chrisc:
Standard A2 was too big for her and she is a Hummer driver, Actually it's a Gal5 (POS), the EOTech is because when in training the POS iron sites wouldn't sight in, so I got her that. If I had to do over I would have got her an Elcan.

You mean a Gau 5? I had a TACP party attached to me in Bosnia that had Gau 5's.
You did good on getting the EoTech I have had a couple of diffrent EoTech's
and they rock.They are a great CQB site. The only site better is an ACOG.
After that I would get an Aimpoint,:D I havent heard anything good about the
Elcan.

chrisc:
A couple of people have dove off of Qatar, but they say anything in the Kuait, Iraq area has mines in it, and is off limits to diving.

She want's to head to Roatan, so I guess that's where we are going when she gets back.

I dove Qatar while I was there (Afghanistan R&R). Decent dive, artifical wreck (car, bus grain silo?!?!), decent marine life, and a few sand sharks. Nice to say I dove the Gulf though.

chrisc:
Plenty of sand, just no water... :D My wife is the shortest one in the front.

Aquadoc68:
Hoah! My Cousin was an AFG SSGT working on an Army convoy from BIAP to Falluja for about a year. She had her share of pucker running that road. I guess at 5'9" she could handle the M16 hehe. BUT at least your wfs boss had the sense to give her a weapon she could shoot well. I know F's that are forced to carry the M16 when they can barely shoulder it.

I wish them luck and thank them for their service, but as a former Maggot, an observation... Why is it everytime you see Smurfs on the ground, they look like they cobbled all of their gear from Joe Snuffy's Army/Navy surplus? :D

Nothing but love for all the hard working Smurfs everywhere. Except that A-10 pilot that thought he was funny flying that low over my gun position back at Fort Lost-in-the-Woods. Almost hit with that rock.

As one dude in Iraq to those over there, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your families. May the tours be short and the families be supportive.

I am currently stationed in Bahrain (in the middle of the persian gulf), but actually in Dubai UAE for a while... the water here is extremely clear and ridiculously warm.... the only downside is that the salinity of the water is VERY high... Unfortunately I have not had a chance to dive out here, I hear some areas are just like the red sea.... some other areas, not so much... From what some people from here tell me, there are a lot of diveable wrecks and SOME areas with good coral.... I definitely will be finding out soon....

chrisc:
A couple of people have dove off of Qatar, but they say anything in the Kuait, Iraq area has mines in it, and is off limits to diving.

She want's to head to Roatan, so I guess that's where we are going when she gets back.
Do you know of Dive Charters in Doha, Qatar? Heading there in Jan. 06' to put on waterski shows. Would like to get some diving in too.

Back
Top Bottom