Diving in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a diver who lived in Bali, Indonesia. As far as I'm concerned the only good place (by nature) for diving that is currently impossible is Ambon or Maluku. There are religion clashes.
But for another good place like Manado (Bunaken), Bali, Komodo, Alor, it's still enjoyable & safe to dive there

Erwin

Hi to all

I know you don't sound very keen on going to Sulawesi :( , but you should think about the Togians Archipelago. It's located in theTomini Bay, and I did the best diving ever when I was there. The Instructor i know does really good DM Courses and the landscape is fabulous.

Just check their site if you want
www.wallacea-divecruise.com
(I posted a thread on this spot a while ago)

Enjoy !!:wink:

Hi Guys.....

The cost for Dive Master here in Bali is US.$ 750, The fee for a Dive Master is around US.$ 15 for two dives.:( ...

A dive trip to Penida Island is around UD.$ 80/ two dives. By speed boat from Bali Island to Penida Island, take only 45 minutes.

Just for the information....

Hengky,

Hi there,

I'm so glad to have discovered this site/thread. I'm going to Indonesia for the last two weeks in August -- one week will be in Bali. For the other week I was thinking about Sulwesi but I have read that there is a 2 person minimum for dive trips. Is it generally easy to simply arrive and find a buddy/group to go with? If you were to dive somewhere other than Bali in Indonesia would it be Sulwesi? (Amanda, you mentioned Togian Islands. I heard they are difficult to get to. Did you have difficultly?)

I'm relatively new to diving (only been to the Grand Caymans for Advanced certification) so I'm new to planning a dive trip on my own. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julia
:)

Hi Julia, getting to the Togian Islands is actually not that difficult but it needs some time, something like 1 1/2 days each way from Manado.
You can find information for both Bunaken and the Togian Islands on www.sulawesi-info.com . Have fun!

Hey Nicolas,

i'm from North Sulawesi, which Bunaken Island is. The best Island for diving In Indonesia. Why you don't try to take DM there ? just visit one of the diving shops there www.TwoFishDivers.com, ask Nigel or Tina,a couple who's running the diving shop. Sulawesi is most save provincy we have. Come and see us..!

nicolas:
I am planning to go diving and getting my DiveMater certification in Indonesia this summer. Although there seems to be plenty of diving in Bali, Lombok, and Sulawesi, I was told that there is no longer any diving in Maumere, Riung, Sumbawa, Solor and Alor (places I was very interested to go to). Can somebody confirm the info? What about Irian Jaya? And how's tourism in Bali and Sulawesi right now? Is Papua New Guinea a better place to go instead of Bali or Sulawesi? Thanks.

Lumba Lumba in Pulau Weh has a website http://www.lumbalumba.de/. These operators can help you with the logistics of getting there.

The declared emergency status for Aceh province suppose to have ended, which means foreigners would be allowed back in again. For latest updates best check with Lumba Lumba.

Pulau Weh is like virgin territory, both top side and underwater. A small place lost in time.

I can only second what's been said about Pulau Weh - it's a wonderful place with great diving. The whale sharks come through in january and february as far as I recall, so outside of those months you'd have to be really lucky. The coral is great, as is the diversity of fish life. As another user posted, the current can be quite heavy at times (crawling along bottom, pulling you way with your arms heavy), but there are normally always some sites that aren't too bad. The diving is IMO up there with the Togian Islands.

The "scene" there is very laid back and quiet, not too many people. I'd expect even more quiet now than when I was there in 2002 with the increasing unrest and the Bali bomb. The people are very keen to show you that the Aceh conflict is about anything but islamic extremism, which means that you're going to be treated really well. Mind you, a couple of tourists were more or less accidentally shot by the indo army about a year ago (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/06/04/indo.germans/), but that was in a different part of Aceh.

Pulau Weh is the kind of place where you very quickly find that you've spent a lot longer than planned. BTW, you're not going to find a lot of alcohol on the island or anywhere in Aceh, so bring a bottle if you need it.

I have to chime in with my opinion of the Togians and Weh. Logistically, the togians are difficult to get to and I was there the day after one of the boats capsized with passengers on them going from the Togians to the main island at marisa. There are several routes, travelling from Gorontola or Marisa. I volunteered to help with the tagging of napoleon wrasse and protection of the reef from crown of thorns. The fish life is not very healthy compared to say some of the top sites in Bunaken/Sangihe/Talaud islands. What you do get is very beautiful sunsets and simple life, just like Weh but more crowded in areas like Wakai. Many of the "resorts" have no electricity so charging cameras etc will be difficult. Also 2 italians were also shot by extremists in central Sulawesi as they left Kadidiri.
Weh is a bit easier to get to. Just fly from Medan to Bandar Acheh (the bus, while cheaper, exposes you to AK47s in your chest in the middle of your slumber). From there, you get to the pier and then a simple boat ride to the islands.
Both islands are pretty basic and spartan. I had very nice encounters with whalesharks in Weh but of late, the whaleshark count has been down just like Thailand/Burma. FWIW, I've been there in 96, 98 and 01.
As for Maumere Bay, it is still a stunning area to dive with biodiversity on par or better with anywhere else in South East Asia. But you can't do your DM there as far as I know. Which is the problem with most of the great places to dive, many of them are liveaboard only and so your dm choices limit you to day resorts in bali, sulawesi, weh and the like.

Back
Top Bottom