Diving in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicolas

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to go diving and getting my DiveMater certification in Indonesia this summer. Although there seems to be plenty of diving in Bali, Lombok, and Sulawesi, I was told that there is no longer any diving in Maumere, Riung, Sumbawa, Solor and Alor (places I was very interested to go to). Can somebody confirm the info? What about Irian Jaya? And how's tourism in Bali and Sulawesi right now? Is Papua New Guinea a better place to go instead of Bali or Sulawesi? Thanks.

You planning to do your DM course in Indonesia, cool. I dont know much about the dive places there but just to share that I was planning to do mine in Thailand. COntacted some of the dive operators there. Just curious, what are the prices offered for the shops you saw for DM in Bali, Lombok etc etc. Thailand aint that bad but after paying for my equipment, I am kinda in a tighter budget than I would like. Of course price isnt everything and shd look at how professional they are and what is being taught but I roughly need a gauge. Was tempted to go with Friendly Waters becoz I find the people there really easy to talk to but at $2200 for the DM course .......Phew ......... .

Well, I initially intended to get the DM certification in Indonesia, and Bali in particular, but it seems like I too will be going to Thailand. I have read too many conflicting reports about diving in Bali. However, I have found better DM course deals in Indonesia (bali) on the web. let me know where you are heading.

Nicolas
well, i was planning to do a dive trip in lombok soon (possibly in may) but that plan seem to have hit a snag as some of my buddies are caught up with work and stuff. But I just might consider doing something like that in june after possibly the World CUp finals in JUne. Anybody keen on flying to bali or samui and spend a whole month drinking cocktails and rooting your favourite football team!?!?! ...just kidding, cdnt afford it even if you guys cd.
anyway, yeah, comparing prices between the two regions as to which is better and which is more professional. emailed an operatir in samui and they seem pretty good. you can email me directly at savant68@hotmail.com if to discuss more matters on this. cheers
jason

Guys,
hi nicolas, i think i just flamed your koh tao DM idea.
i did my DM in indo about 6 months ago.
i was on this small island called Pulau Weh off the north easter tip of sumatra. i know it is in the troubled Aceh province but i felt 100% safe all the time. it is possible to fly all the way there but more fun to take the ferry from Medan. the ferry costs US$7 and the flight US$40. i did my DM in 2 months (no rush at all) and 'worked' there for another 2 after that. also remember that the indo currency is so bad that you can live like a king for months!
now there are 3 dive shops on the island (used to be 2). they are on Gapang and Iboih beaches.
the diving here is the best i have ever done and the reef alive with colour. this guy who does photography in sipidan dived with me and says it compares favouribly. you get sharks, barracudas, manta rays, eagle rays, whale sharks, dolphins, turtles, huge gorgonians, many different morays incl ribbon eels, snappers, trevally, wicked nudibranches, napolean wrasse, bump head parrotfish, triggerfish (all types) and so much more. the water is warm, about 28 C and the vis about 15m plus! if there is a down side (i dont think so), its the current can rip through here during full moon, but it just adds to the adrenaline and makes u a better diver. there is also a deep wreck (54 meters) which you can dive as well.

the name of the diveshops are Rubiah Tirta or Stingray and Lumba Lumba.

ok, enough preaching and i must be off now.
cheers,
James

Well if I do not do my divemaster course there I'll probably go there right after and maybe work for a while on this island. Thanks so much for this info James. Nicolas

James,
Hi, really interested in knowing this' unknown 'dive site of yours. Will check out on the dive place and all that. but curious as to how long you were there, and what prices do they charge for a leisure dive trip. if you have a contact email that will be fabulous. also, whats the price of the DM course there (you paid) and how much they paid you for the two months there. Thanks.
Jason:)

nicolas,

please clarify what you mean about no diving in Alor, Maumere, Pantar, Riung etc.

Do you mean there is not the opportunity to take a DM course or something more drastic?

Neil

I'm sure Joe would have mentioned something if those areas were restricted... I'll send him an email to ask, ok? :wink:

Well, to clarify the first post, I was told that there is no PADI center in Maluku and access to Maluku is now forbidden because of the religious conflict in the region. Regarding, Irian jaya, apparently the Cenderawasi Bay, Numfoor, and Biak have all be damaged by dynamite fishing. It seems that the only great place to go diving is Sorong. At this point, I am just interested to collect as much info about the nicest spots to dive in Indonesia. I know of Pulau Weh, Bali, Lombok, Komodo, Manado, and Sorong. If you know of other very nice spots (and there must be thousands), let me know. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom