Diving in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's been a few years since I dove Kona so this info could be terribly out of date but i had great night dives with mantas in front of the Sheraton, feeding on plankton attracted by the hotel's flood lights. It's an easy surface swim out from the boat ramp in the adjacent cove.

Also, curious dolphins were a reliable sight in the bay next to Captain Cook monument.

As an operator on Oahu we'd love to have you visit, but if you are coming in Jan shore diving will be limited. North Shore is great for shore diving, but winter swells will likely prevent it and even the west side dive sites will probably have wrap around that will close out west side shore diving. Even in ideal conditions I'd go with Maui or the Big Island for a shore trip.

Out of curiosity, can some Maui and Hawaii peeps comment on how big winter swell effects your shore diving sites? Like Mala Pier and the harbor dive on big island?

Harbor is one of the more protected sites. When I've dove there in the winter it's still usually reliable, but I'm a seasonal resident, so year round folks may have more info. There are definitely good sites during the winter but it just depends on the daily conditions. The area just north and south of the harbor which are the majority of the local sites are pretty well protected from north swells. The manta dive is day to day at both locations though. We would always cruise up between dives to check Garden Eel cove, and the Sheraton can get pounded too.

I really need to come over and dive on Oahu sometime. In general I just need to spend more time there.

Thanks Gachnar.

Oahu is pretty limited on shore diving, though the classics are pretty good. Sharks Cove, Three Tables, Electric Beach. Lanai lookout if you can catch the Kona winds and someone can show you the exit. Once you got a scooter and doubles of 2 tank side mount, things a little further out open and and it gets pretty good. With a rebreather even better.

Thanks Gachnar.

Oahu is pretty limited on shore diving, though the classics are pretty good. Sharks Cove, Three Tables, Electric Beach. Lanai lookout if you can catch the Kona winds and someone can show you the exit. Once you got a scooter and doubles of 2 tank side mount, things a little further out open and and it gets pretty good. With a rebreather even better.
Thanks dude. My GF is AOW but if she fancies a day off I might look at twins and a scooter. Any kind of fauna in particular or you thinking more wrecks? Thx, John

Thanks dude. My GF is AOW but if she fancies a day off I might look at twins and a scooter. Any kind of fauna in particular or you thinking more wrecks? Thx, John
Twins and a scooter (now that there is critical mass of scooter divers on Oahu, mostly due to DJ selling Black Tips to everyone, including me) can get you to Sea Tiger from Point Panic. I think that is probably the one that gets done the most. You are going to hit deco, so have to be able to handle that. From Makaha Beach part you can scooter out to shallow Makaha Caverns and entertain yourself for hours out there, huge amount of caverns and ledges in 15ft to 35ft. Maybe even go around the point to stars if you got the gas and run time. From Sharks cove you could go west, hit Firehouse and Three Tables, and make it a round trip back to Sharks Cove. The formations our there are more or less limitless, at least my longest 2.5 hours on rebreather didn't end up being boring at any point. All in 30 to 70ft. Great place for sidemount of double divers to burn an couple of tanks without worrying about deco overmuch.
Sorry for slow reply, I'm very occasional SB user.
Cheers,
Matt

On Maui you can easily spend a couple of weeks beach diving and never hitting the same site twice. Most of them have easy access. Mala pier and Makena Landing are amongst the best ones but there are many others. I would recommend getting Franko’s diving map for a full description of the sites

Hi again guys.

I’ve a couple of days by myself at the end of the trip in Oahu.

Would like to get some shark diving in - ideally no cages.

Any thoughts?

Cheers guys 👊🏼

As an operator on Oahu we'd love to have you visit, but if you are coming in Jan shore diving will be limited. North Shore is great for shore diving, but winter swells will likely prevent it and even the west side dive sites will probably have wrap around that will close out west side shore diving. Even in ideal conditions I'd go with Maui or the Big Island for a shore trip.

Out of curiosity, can some Maui and Hawaii peeps comment on how big winter swell effects your shore diving sites? Like Mala Pier and the harbor dive on big island?
In 2018 a local in Miloli'i village told me that winter was so rough he could enter water just to swim only twice in the whole month of February. When we visit we get out by mid December cause of the swells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom