Diving in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I’m looking to go diving in Hawaii in Jan ‘22 with my girlfriend. She’s a new diver but could do her advanced while we’re. I’m a DM.

I was thinking maybe some shore dives to get her AOW then a liveaboard. I have some questions that hopefully people with local knowledge will know.

1. ideally I’d be looking for big fauna - mantas, turtles, sharks etc. Not so much wrecks.
2. Advice on the prevailing conditions
3. Advice on the style of liveaboard. I’m more familiar with Cocos, Socrroro, Maldives, Egypt liveaboards where they’re kind luxurious and guides get in the water with guests and will guide them if asked - is it the same in Hawaii?

Thanks a million ☺️
John

i just moved to the island a month age
there are alot of LDS around here doing some online searching i went with
Island Divers Trip Reports and Special Events
im not sure why the company name is island divers and the web site is oahu scuba diving?

i went with them for a refresher course since i been out of the water for some years, i recommend them
the dive where boat dives done a slow day for them, 6 divers total, 2 instructors, and the boat captain,
the sites where only like 15-20 min form the dock in 30-40 ft of water, we saw the reef fish and sea turtles, vis good,

as far was live aboard go i think there is only one in the state, i not been on one just internet search for info and found Kona Liveaboard Scuba Diving Manta Rays in Hawaii | Aggressor

Which island?
My understanding of the proposed itinerary is something like this but can be flexible

“So, maybe 5 days on Oahu,
Then (the liveaboard) in Kona, then Maui for 5 days, then 3 more days in Oahu before we fly home?”

Thanks guys,
John

My understanding of the proposed itinerary is something like this but can be flexible

Then (the liveaboard) in Kona, then Maui for 5 days, then 3 more days in Oahu before we fly home?”
That sounds like fun, can
I come…

Thanks guys,
John
That sounds ambitious. Are you planning to fly between the islands?

That sounds ambitious. Are you planning to fly between the islands?

Ha! Naturally the itinerary wasn’t my creation but my girlfriend’s. However she’s normally pretty accurate about these things. But yeah we would have been flying at certain points which obvs impacts diving.

Like I said. We can be flexible.

Right. Discussed options. We’re blanking any liveaboard possibilities to remove complexity.

So now looking just Maui & Oahu.

Any suggestions?

You may want to consider staying in Kona and doing shores dives and/or day trips on boats instead of Oahu. On the Big Island you can do the manta dive and, in my experience, there is better fauna and lava tubes (and reef structure in general) than on Oahu. Oahu is better if you want wrecks.

I just came back from Maui. I'd been really excited for the boat dives we planned to Molokini and the Lanai Cathedrals, but I think maybe I got my hopes up too high and they were just... good. The beach dives, however, were amazing. We mostly stuck with Makena Landing and Mala Pier.

Back
Top Bottom