Diving in Green Island, Republic of CHINA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The place where you're staying will almost certainly send someone with a van or a truck to meet you at the pier when your ferry arrives. You'll probably need to rent your motorbike / scooter near there and ride it up north to where you're going to stay, but you shouldn't need to put all your things on the scooter; nor should you need to find your way to the hostel or guesthouse. The local custom is to meet people at the ferry port when they arrive.
I have the bed reserved but still struggling to find the contact number for 70 Garden House. It is not listed on either Agoda or Booking.com. They are certainly not going to send someone to the port to meet every incoming ferry from Taitung or even Lanyu.
I have to try harder!

I need to bring cash.
How much do I expect to pay for a shore dive?
Would TWD 800.00 enough to pay for three simple meals per day?

Thank you.

In my experience, without a guide or a ride in a truck or any other extras, shore dives are the price of a cylinder (probably 200 or 250 (maybe 300 nowadays) for air, EANx more, depending upon the shop.

This time of year, I recommend Bai Sha (surface swim for the little rock breaking the surface out and to the right; take a compass bearing for shore and drop onto the furthest of 3 pinnacles). Shi Lang is also good. Many different dives can be done at that huge site. Chai Kou on the north side of the island is worth trying but often isn't diveable this time of year.

For simple meals, 800/day should do. Finding truly simple meals can be a little bit of a challenge, though, since the island caters to Taiwanese tourists who sometimes want something special for dinner.

You can always change money back; better to have too much than not enough. Of course, there are also ATMs at the 7-11 and I think the post office.

Thank you very much for the advice.

This is my first ever visit to the Island so I will affiliate myself to either Blue Safari or Chu Fu. And I also need to pay for the electric scooter for the transport!
My ATM card does not work overseas and I have no intention to change it. So I will change US$1,000.00 at the airport in ROC and hopefully that should be enough for a week of diving and travelling.

If you're on a fixed budget, I think C.F. might be a better choice than Blue Safari. I've never used Blue Safari but when I asked about prices some years ago, they were one of the most expensive shops on the island. Maybe they earn those high prices by providing some kind of unusual value, but I don't know what that would be.

For a very simple, non-touristy, typical Taiwanese eatery, look for the one turn on the main road that's like a 90 degree angle; it's in the southwest, between those two dive centers and the main town. I think there's a slight hill at that turn also. If you're going south from the dive center's toward the main town, instead of taking that 90 degree left turn to stay on the main road, just keep going straight into a little village. That lane will curve to the left; just after it does, there's a little restaurant to the right. No sign or anything, but it's easy to find, as there are only a few buildings. It would be difficult to spend more than $130 on a meal unless you have beers.

Enjoy the trip. Hope you see some good marine life.

dive centers, not dive center's

Two things that drive me nuts: apostrophes for plurals, and autocorrect!

Centre!!!
Of course I will compare the price first.
$130.00 for a simple meal sound great. I always try my best to avoid all those tourist trap whenever I travel.
Looking forward to this trip. Good to know that language especially written words is not an issue this time!

Republic of China and Hong Kong are the only two places that correct form of Chinese are being written in public!

On the diving prices, note that Makhno mentioned what he pays for renting tanks, their group are regulars and self guide. If you are going alone or unknown to the shops they potentially will not just rent tanks.

In that case 2 boat dives would be around TWD2000 and TWD1200~1500 for a couple shore dives with guide. Full set of gear rental TWD800~1200 daily

Two final suggestions occur to me.

1) If you have a lycra cap for your head, bring it. They probably won't let you into the hot springs without one, and sometimes they don't have them in stock for sale there.

2) Bring or buy a plastic raincoat, preferably the kind that has a hood and goes all the way to your knees. Nothing fancy needed, just a cheap plastic shell (but not so cheap that it's trash-bag thin. Get the thicker kind with a zipper, which can serve as a windbreaker.) Put it on over your wetsuit when it's time to scooter back after a shore dive. It's very effective at reducing wind chill and keeping you warmer on a long, wet drive.

Back
Top Bottom