Diving in Green Island, Republic of CHINA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. I will bring extra layer or two for thermal protection.
2. I am not keen on venison because the meat is too dry but will give it a try if being offered.
Sika Deer Ecological Park

3. Riding a bike with scuba kit is surely a new experience.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too -- my eyesight is weakening, and I'm not a great macro critter spotter -- and then I saw it. And that was before I invested in prescription lenses for my mask.

Look for the seagrass that has little round leaves, about the size of the fingernail on your littlest finger. Half or more of the leaves on that plant are green, but about 1/3 or more of them are white. This seahorse species lives in that kind of seagrass, looking very much like one of the white leaves.

We saw 2 of them in 2 days: my buddy found one at Chaikou, and then I found this one near a site called something like General (someone's name) Head Rock (near Gong Huang Bi, where both C.F. and Blue Safari are … named after some military general, I think).

There are usually some cool solar-powered nudibranchs and sap-sucking slugs around those northern sites, too.

You probably won't see a lot of big fishes, but if you go slowly and look carefully, there's good macro life.

I have a very strong distaste on shore dive because of the extra weight on my back. And it seems to me that it is the normal routine on the Island. Nevertheless I am really looking forward to the trip but also feeling a bit of apprehension as well.

The trip went very well - smooth as silk as Thai International would have said.

Being able to read, write and speak(badly) the language surely help.

US$1.00 = T$30.45

Getting there:
Ferry from Taitung to Green Island was pre-booked by the dive operator(CF). NT$920.00 for the return. Do come prepare for the rough crossing! One of the gen urinal was blocked by vomit even though plastic bags were plentiful in supply.
Accommodation:
Stayed on the North side of the island in a Homestay(booked through Agoda) ie close to the Human Right Memorial Park, CF and Blue Safari
Diving:
a. Shore dive: Did two dives with Blue Safari at Shilang for NT$3,000.00!!!!!! Very ordinary sites but suitable for basic training.
b. Boat dive: 2 boat dives a da y for 3 days with CF for only NT$6,000.00. North easterly wind was blowing hard so all the dives were limited around Dabaisha. Some of the sites are very good and we even have at least 30sec with a very curious dolphin!!!
Food:
Not much to write home about in the area. I did walk to the one highly recommended by 2 SB members but it was closed when I arrived after a 30 mins walk. It is ope from 17:00 - 20:00 and I was too early.

Water was about 24C so pretty cold for me but I did bring all my thermal so it was bearable.

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I have noticed the rental booties all have extraordinary thick sole. Very useful for the shore dive especially to negotiate the rock along the sea-shore.
Try to avoid this Island Nation holiday period as Green Island would be packed to the rim!!!

Time to check out Kenting or others but only for boat dive. Shore dive is too much for me.

I have noticed the rental booties all have extraordinary thick sole. Very useful for the shore dive especially to negotiate the rock along the sea-shore.
Try to avoid this Island Nation holiday period as Green Island would be packed to the rim!!!

Time to check out Kenting or others but only for boat dive. Shore dive is too much for me.

Yes, thick soles; also made of felt, which is much less slippery. I have a drysuit I bought for the Florida caves, but I rarely use it in Taiwan in the winter because its rubber-sole boots are too slippery for some of my favorite shore dives.

Unfortunately, many of Taiwan's best dive sites are shore dives. Those can be difficult for aging divers with arthritic knees, back problems, etc.--as well as younger divers who just aren't very fit, and/or don't have a good sense of balance with a scuba unit on their backs. One fall with a face-plant onto the rocks could do some serious lasting damage. For that reason, I don't do any shore dives in a twinset anymore unless I've got some really flat surface conditions, and/or some buddies who aren't tec divers who are waiting for me when I surface, to help me get safely out of the water.

Green Island is fairly easy, compared to the rest of Taiwan: you've got those paved walkways into the ocean at dive sites like Dabaisha and Chaikou. Top shore diving sites at Kenting like Hejie are considerably more difficult to get in and out of.

Anyone looking for boat dive should contact CF directly.
Someone told me that there are only 3 dive boats on the Island and CF owns two of them( I am not in any position to verify that). But in one of our boat diving day, we have two HK divers + DM from another operator joined in for the fun. And the couple paid a lot more than I did individually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom