Diving in Florida & sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove in Jupiter last October, and did see a few sharks. (just up the road from WPB). Here is the video from one of my dives. As you can see, the sharks are shy and tend to swim away if you get too close.

Wow!! That is amazing! Very cool video! Thank you for sharing! What type of sharks were they?

I dove in Jupiter last October, and did see a few sharks. (just up the road from WPB). Here is the video from one of my dives. As you can see, the sharks are shy and tend to swim away if you get too close.
I'd say that your video is pretty representative of seeing sharks in Jupiter area. I find the juvenile sharks are more curious and willing to approach than the more mature sharks are. My last dives in Jupiter however, the sharks were far more curious, got much closer and hung with us for most of our dive.

Last edited:
I shot these down in the Outer Banks (NC), 3 weeks ago.

The vast majority of sharks you'll come across are species that are very docile. Some skittish. Some curious. These were all Sand Tiger Sharks. Very docile. A little skittish, but often curious if there's not too many divers crowding around.

Several of them had fishing lures stuck in the side of their mouths. One kept coming up to another guy on our boat. He finally reached out and it let him take hold of the lure hanging out of the corner of its mouth. When he started working the hook to try and get it out, the shark swam away. But then it came back a few minutes later and was hanging around again, acting like it wanted my friend to help.

It's the barracuda that make me nervous. Try to make sure you don't have any big shiny metal things on you or your BCD.

My GF and I dove out of Singer Island with two different boats. When we were on the Narcosis we ran into five lemon sharks at the same time on one site. Our second dive was relocated from the original plan because another boat was recovering divers and they'd sighted a tiger shark. Our second dive the half of the divers that were there to spearfish encountered a bull shark that took one guy's catch, stringer, and all from his belt.

Maybe we were unusually lucky.

Not the best picture in the world but that was one of the lemon sharks.
1500849_10201989223629013_1145394287566562873_o.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom