Diving in December (Hawaii vs Grand Cayman)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

December is ok, but I think May is a lovely time to dive Grand Cayman. I think the weather is more reliable than December. Maybe there will be a little more rain in May but unlikely to be a big deal. The water will be warmer. It starts to get more humid, but that's not a problem when you're on a boat, underwater, or relaxing post dives. I'm not crazy about humidity, but if I'm not doing much of anything it doesn't bother me. And since I'm on vacation, I'm not. :wink:

I wouldn't call Hawaii diving mediocre, you just have to do the right places and have the right expectations, and enjoy it for what it is - which is different than most places. Not my favorite but some of my most memorable dives have actually been there, because it is different. I like warm water and hate wetsuits though, so if I go there to dive I aim for the warmest water of the year, which is not December.

If you are concerned about waves in the Caribbean, you should look at the BVI, it's very sheltered and always warm. The first week of December the Cuan Law is taking part in BVI WRECK WEEK, and there's a lot going on. There are several new wrecks that were sunk this past year. In addition to diving all the wrecks (and reefs) there are events on shore.

Hi Sunshinecat,

I lived and worked in Oahu from 2005 to 2012, and then moved to Grand Cayman, where I've been for the last 7 years. The 2 locations are vastly different, but I'll try to sum up the averages for December. The seas conditions in both locations vary wildly in December. It all depends on the localized weather systems that are coming through. Same with the vis, and currents. These change in both locations based on the day/hour/minute.

For Oahu, generally the north will be too rough to dive, south shore will be the safest option, west side might be diveable. The water temp will be around 75 degrees. Statistically speaking Kona, on the leeward side of the big island and will be more diveable that time of year, but of course don't hold me to that. The coolest part of diving in HI in December is the humpback wales, you won’t see them underwater but have a good chance of seeing them from a boat or hearing them while on your dive.

For Grand Cayman, generally speaking the winds will come from the east-northeast, meaning you'll be diving in West Bay somewhere. Water temp can range from 78-80. Currents and vis are just as unpredictable.

Any question on either, don't hesitate to ask.

~ Joanna

I don't think I'd be concerned about going to GC in December over May for weather or for cost. We went in May in 2018 to Cayman Brac and it rained - full on downpour - all 8 days we were there. I was told the weather was similar on GC the whole week. That isn't normal even for the rainy season, but it's a possibility. We've gone twice in early January and had no rain, tons of sun, water like glass on the SMB side, and even got a few days in at the North Wall. It's all hit or miss with the weather whenever you go. We also have done a day out on the East End, which I recommend, because there is a better chance of some shark sightings. If you end up diving SMB/West Bay or East End, it is still excellent diving, especially the West Bay area. If West Bay is washed out, head south to Sunset House for some shore diving. I'm not sure about the shore diving options in Hawaii, but there are quite a few really good shore dives on GC. We are primarily doing shore diving our next trip in January (unless the weather blows out the dives and then we will try to hop on some boats :wink:). There are so many options around the island, it's unlikely the chop would ruin a day of diving for you in December.

I also recommend DiveTech (bigger boats, farther north so heading out to the North Wall could happen if weather permits, historically great DMs but still provides a lot of autonomy topside and underwater if you want it) or DNS (also historically great DMs, tends to leave the dock earlier than other boats so we always could tie up to a good spot, has good cookies) for the West Bay area. Everyone has their favorites for different reasons so you can take that with a grain of salt. DiveTech also has a great shore dive if the weather cooperates.

We rent a condo with a kitchen to keep costs down. Hotels on GC are expensive. If you get in on a Saturday, go right to the grocery store. They're closed Sunday and then you'll be sad if you miss it.

We are on Maui, flying home tomorrow. We dove only two days this week, once to Molokini (inside) and today to Lanai - Cathedral 2 and Fish Rock. Conditions were good with water temp consistently 80 degs. This will be my last diving in Hawaii. The diving is mediocre, and expensive, as is everything else in the islands.
Harsh but fair, about Maui at least. Well, the expensive part is true everywhere if you charter dive.

Hello, I'm starting to think about planning a dive trip during the first week of December. I only have a week off from work and am coming from California. I prefer warm water diving, have done somewhere around 25 dives and haven't been diving in a few years so consider myself a rusty diver and will likely have to do a refresher course before I start. I was thinking about going to Hawaii (either Kauai or Hawaii since I've already done Maui a couple of times) or somewhere in the Caribbean (Grand Cayman?), but I've been reading that the weather can be iffy during December (windy in the Caribbean, choppy seas in Hawaii). Any opinions on which location would give the best warm water, calm diving out of the options I mentioned, or is there another place I should consider given my short time frame?

@sunshinecat where did you decide to go for your December vacation?

I've dived both Hawaii and Carribean (Cozumel, Bahamas) in December, and would suggest the Carribean, for both visibility and quality of coral reefs (and numbers of species.)

But it depends on how much travel! We're headed to Hawaii in a few weeks because it's much closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom