Diving in DC area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wylerbear

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be spending several days in the DC area beginning the 10th of June. I'm traveling with all my dive gear so hope to hook up with someone to get in some dives there if there are any sites within reasonable distance (I used to driving 3 hours to get to a divesite so my definition of "reasonable" is broad). If anyone is interested in showing me around and/or giving me some idea of who to call about diving in the area please let me know.
After 5 or 6 days in DC, I'll be heading south along the coast and hope to get in some diving in NC and Florida so if anyone has any suggestions for that way, I'd appreciate that info too.

I'll be spending several days in the DC area beginning the 10th of June. I'm traveling with all my dive gear so ..
After 5 or 6 days in DC, I'll be heading south along the coast and hope to get in some diving in NC and Florida so if anyone has any suggestions for that way, I'd appreciate that info too.

I want your life. There are a few local quarries, and if you are willing to drive 3 hours or so, better quarries.

This is a post by SB member Hoyden in a welcome thread...pretty much says it all

Hoyden:
As far as dive sites - there are several local quarries. Lake Millbrook is the closest. Lake Rawlings is the warmest and Dutch Springs is the nicest. There are a couple of other ones like Bainbridge and Guppy Gulch, but I see no reason to drive there from Rockville.

There is pretty good ocean diving within 3 to 4 hours from our area - Ocean City, MD or VA Beach and just a little farther north gets you to New Jersey diving. I have done both OC and VA Beach as day trips from Rockville, MD. This is not warm water diving and a good day has about 40ft of vis - 15-20ft would be more average. But it sure beats quarry diving. There are lots of good wrecks right off our shores. If you like low vis diving, there is also the U-1105 - MD's very own shipwreck preserve, although it is an advanced dive and you'll want to be comfortable in no-vis diving before you try it. There is no need to go too far for ocean diving if you can take water temps in the mid to high 50s - which is warmer than most of the local quarries at depth anyway.

Jackie

Thanks, DivingPrincessE,
I'm a cold water diver so temps in the 50's and viz of 15-20' is normal to good for me. I dive dry mostly. Is there a good shop to contact before getting there so I can try to locate a buddy or two or perhaps find a shop dive or something?

If you post in this forum you should be able to find a buddy. Just have the subject as Millbrook and the date you want to dive. If you buy a pass to millbrook before you go it's a little cheaper. My LDS is in Sterling which is 45-60 minutes from DC...so probably not the most convenient to buy a pass from. There is a shop on the way to Millbrook that you could get a pass from. Welcome to Virginia Scuba - Virginia's Only Techreational Dive Center

I havent dove Millbrook yet but would be willing to partner up if cant find a buddy. I have been to Lake Rawlings which is a little further drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom